I didn't want to hijack the turbid mash thread...but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
Sideshow asked about the differences between the Wild brews turbid mash and the Liddle schedule, so that got me wondering about the Wyeast schedule:

2.35 qt/lb

Dough in wheat with 10% barley and 75% water at 140 F

Increase to boiling and hold for 30 minutes

Add remaining malt and water and adjust to 158 F degrees holding for 2 hours while regularly stirring. Rest 30 minutes

Sparge with 203 F water

Anyone tried this...it seems like its a lot easier than the others and me being lazy that's appealing to me if it yields good results.

I used it twice and the resulting beers weren't great. I got shockingly high efficiency (the second time over 100%). The first batch wasn't the fault of the mash, it took 4 days for fermentation to start. The second started at 1.070 due to the high efficiency and the beer just never tasted quite right, not enough acidity.

The turbid mash is labor intensive, but it really doesn't take that much longer. When making a beer that takes years I'd put in the extra effort on brew day.

Thanks Oldsock, that is exactly what I was looking for...I'm all for putting the extra effort in if its worth it. So I guess I'm not lazy, just efficient. Now, off to drink a Monk's Cafe to build up my dregs.

I used it twice and the resulting beers weren't great. I got shockingly high efficiency (the second time over 100%). The first batch wasn't the fault of the mash, it took 4 days for fermentation to start. The second started at 1.070 due to the high efficiency and the beer just never tasted quite right, not enough acidity.

The turbid mash is labor intensive, but it really doesn't take that much longer. When making a beer that takes years I'd put in the extra effort on brew day.

i used your blog as a starting point.

My third run i got 90%.
The first two batches where below target gravity.

Back