UDS build kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What process do they do to refurb? Quite honestly I doubt much happens. Hot water? The refurb label makes things sound better, but unless it is new you don't know what was in it. Even new ones are likely from China and shellacked in lead. Whatever I use I will likely try to heat it up pretty hot to burn things off.

Maybe I should get a lined one and head up to some BLM land with a truck full of wood. Heat that sucker up proper. My suburban nieghbors wouldn't like the burning part too much.

It probably depends on the refurb place, but at least some superheat them to burn out, sand blast and repaint. I've seen videos of people using a weed burner torch to burn them out, which you could later use as a charcoal starter.

I ended up buying a new drum from Mcmaster since I have an office close by.

Ok, another update!!!

As I am getting all the orders in to the various companies and figuring what my paypal costs are going to be it looks like the price will be $47.50+ actual shipping. That is not set in stone yet but unless there is something unforseen I don't think it will change.

Ok, another update!!!

As I am getting all the orders in to the various companies and figuring what my paypal costs are going to be it looks like the price will be $47.50+ actual shipping. That is not set in stone yet but unless there is something unforseen I don't think it will change.

When it is set, e-mail me @ drinknkoolaid at gmail dot com. I'll send payment for mine and/or others from the club (nobody has gotten back to me yet :eek:)

When it is set, e-mail me @ drinknkoolaid at gmail dot com. I'll send payment for mine and/or others from the club (nobody has gotten back to me yet :eek:)

Thanks and like I said let me know how many are interested and we can probably work out some sort of discount.

Just to let you know though, if it is a large order it might need to wait until my second batch. I am only getting enough stuff now to make 10-12 kits this time. Depending on how this goes and if I can find a wholesaler for the plumbing parts I will be getting enough for 50-100 kits the second time around.

And if anyone needs help finding drums let me know and I will see if I can find anything in your area for you.

Per our brief exchange in the briskett thread, I need to try and track down a drum and I'm not having much luck finding one within a 3+hour drive radius.

http://www.americanlisted.com/alaba...al_and_plastic_drums_20_madison_11263548.html

That one is saying it is in Huntsville. If that doesn't work let me know. I found a couple more but they are all a decent drive.

edit- nevermind, I just noticed that is a closed head one. It might be worth a call though to see if he has any or knows where you could get open head.

This is the 2nd closest I have found so far.
http://www.americanlisted.com/alaba...rums_food_grade_14_jacksonville_10906917.html

I will keep looking though.

I've actually already looked at/seen both of those. The first, like you said, is a closed head drum. The second website you linked doesn't actually have a partner in AL based on anything I could find on their website earlier today. The one in Jacksonville is closer than anything I've found so far, but it's still much too far to be a reasonable choice for me, unfortunately. Anything over a 20-30min drive is going to worth waiting until I can just find one within that driving radius.

I've actually already looked at/seen both of those. The first, like you said, is a closed head drum. The second website you linked doesn't actually have a partner in AL based on anything I could find on their website earlier today. The one in Jacksonville is closer than anything I've found so far, but it's still much too far to be a reasonable choice for me, unfortunately. Anything over a 20-30min drive is going to worth waiting until I can just find one within that driving radius.

I will keep looking. Are there any industrial areas around you?

Maybe try posting a wanted ad on craigslist.

Or try calling an auto shop. A real good burnout should work with one that had oil in it.

Another update:

I am starting to look into shipping costs and it doesn't look like the USPS will be the best way to go. So no flat rate shipping. Sorry.

me, me, me!!

Pinetop, AZ (or Show Low).

When did I say that?

You know I am as lazy, if not lazier, than 'bozo...

hmmmmm well apparently I am an idiot. I know shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but I thought you PMed me earlier when it was actually someone else. ooops. I had just sent you a PM and got a PM a few minutes later and never looked at the name.

I will see if I can find anything around you.

Do you have an approx. total shipping weight?

I am thinking 4-5 lbs but can't really be sure until I get everything in my hand. It very possibly could be more. If it is much more then flat rate would probably be best but if not it is more expensive than just normal shipping.

They also have a 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" medium flat rate box that is only $10.70 to ship up to 70lbs.

Hey Data, why can't you ship with this box? If you go with the 12x12 squares, I would think that you could angle them in the box to fit and still fit the other parts in...

Hey Data, why can't you ship with this box? If you go with the 12x12 squares, I would think that you could angle them in the box to fit and still fit the other parts in...

hmmmm, because when I looked at the list I think I saw it wrong. :eek: Sorry, I have been on pain killers for the last few weeks and have really made some stupid little mistakes.

I am going to go and get a bunch of different boxes both pre-paid and not and see what can be done. I should have everything in my hand by saturday or monday so I should be able to have exact shipping prices by then. I will also sign up for an account at UPS because I am pretty sure you get discounted shipping with that.

Looks like this is going to get delayed about a week. The steel place was closed this morning due to the snow and I am not able to get in there any time other than on a Saturday. Sorry.

On the positive side though, I do have a couple leads on wholesale plumbing parts so I might be able to drop the price a little bit.

Looks like this is going to get delayed about a week. The steel place was closed this morning due to the snow and I am not able to get in there any time other than on a Saturday. Sorry.

On the positive side though, I do have a couple leads on wholesale plumbing parts so I might be able to drop the price a little bit.

Bump

Any updates?

No, unfortunately I am sick and haven't had time to get the steel. I have everything else in my possession though. I forgot that my grinder broke a few months ago but just got a new one too. Not sure how I forgot that, but I did. If I can get them to cut the sheets into 1/4s for me I will be able to get them Wednesday morning. If not hopefully I will be able to get my friends truck Saturday.

I will be starting a brand new thread once I have everything and ready to ship though. Thanks for the interest.

No, unfortunately I am sick and haven't had time to get the steel. I have everything else in my possession though. I forgot that my grinder broke a few months ago but just got a new one too. Not sure how I forgot that, but I did. If I can get them to cut the sheets into 1/4s for me I will be able to get them Wednesday morning. If not hopefully I will be able to get my friends truck Saturday.

I will be starting a brand new thread once I have everything and ready to ship though. Thanks for the interest.

No sweat, Data. At your convenience. I'll look for the thread.

Hope you feel better.:mug:

Ok, one more update. Last Tuesday i went to get the expanded steel and after spending an hour and a half there searching with them they decided they didn't have it even though the computer said they did. They told me they would bring some in from their other yard in Jersey the next day. I planned on taking my buddies truck and getting it Saturday but when I called before I left to double check they got it in they said because of the weather it was still in Jersey.

They did just call me yesterday morning and tell me they got it in though. I am really hoping to get it Saturday. If I do I will be able to get them packed up and shipped out next week.

Only problem is that the first few kits will probably be missing the instructions the way I want to have them. My deck and yard still have a ton of snow on them so I can't get out there to build one and take pictures. I will upload them to a website as soon as I can get them though. I am also trying to work on doing a build video in addition to just pictures.

Might be interested in a kit or two once they're done. I've a coupe people inquire about mine. I figure I can maybe sell mine and another and build myself a new one.

Finally got the steel, and it only cost me the tip of my thumb :eek:.

I should have the official thread up with all the final details tomorrow. :ban: :ban:

Sorry to all the delays.

Back