Beersmith help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
So I have been using beersmith pretty successfully for a bit and was using the 10g igloo + 7.5g brewpot and I've noticed that in my last 3-4 batches, I consistently had almost 1 gallon of extra wort post boil and cooling.

The things that have majorly changed with my setup and process since then are:

- Got my own barley crusher and crushed my own grain
- Ambient temps in Texas went from 80-90's to 40-60's

I am concerned because I am obviously not hitting my OG (nearly 20% off, tonights batch was a target 1.095 and I hit 1.077 only..)

Did my crushing my own improve my efficiency that much?

I will admit, I don't 100% feel I understand efficiencies into boiler and post boil and how to use beersmith to adapt to this, so if anyone has some pointers, I would really appreciate it.

So I have been using beersmith pretty successfully for a bit and was using the 10g igloo + 7.5g brewpot and I've noticed that in my last 3-4 batches, I consistently had almost 1 gallon of extra wort post boil and cooling.

The things that have majorly changed with my setup and process since then are:

- Got my own barley crusher and crushed my own grain
- Ambient temps in Texas went from 80-90's to 40-60's

I am concerned because I am obviously not hitting my OG (nearly 20% off, tonights batch was a target 1.095 and I hit 1.077 only..)

Did my crushing my own improve my efficiency that much?

I will admit, I don't 100% feel I understand efficiencies into boiler and post boil and how to use beersmith to adapt to this, so if anyone has some pointers, I would really appreciate it.

Efficiency is both volume and OG. You've either overestimated your deadspace and/or your boil-off rate is not set right. Both these can be set under the details button next to "Equipment" button in the recipe screen. Also, select "calculate boil volume automatically". I'm also betting that once you get your volumes right, your OG will fall in line too.

20% is a big miss, even if it is a big beer. If you're collecting too much wort, that's definitely why.

My thought is also that you've inadvertently changed something in beersmith to show you need more water.

20% is a big miss, even if it is a big beer. If you're collecting too much wort, that's definitely why.

My thought is also that you've inadvertently changed something in beersmith to show you need more water.

I had this same thought, but don't know what i might have changed..

If you start your boil with the correct volume, then the problem is with the boil-off. In this case, you may need to directly enter your boil-off. For example, my system looses 0.75 gallons every half hour. So, if I want 6 gallons after a 60 min boil, I have to start with 7.5 gallons.

If you are starting with an extra gallon, then something is wrong in your numbers in Beer Smith. Measure all of your volumes carefully and adjust the deadspace to make it right. You should be right on.

L

I love beersmith, but the only volumes I use are batch size to calculate overall efficiency and mash water to calculate strike temperature. For runoff, I just collect wort up to the same level in my kettle every brew, boil every batch for an hour, and end up with my 5.5 gallons in the fermenter every time. I might get less volume if I boil a lot of hops, but I can't fit more in my kettle, so I'm powerless over that. And if I add corn sugar or DME late in the boil to boost my gravity, I might get a higher volume in the end, due to the volume of the added sugars.

If you're getting more volume in the fermenter, you may be boiling off less, in which case you've probably turned down the heat to your kettle or else are boiling for a shorter time.

Back