Question about Freezer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Struct

Reaction score
My wife bought me a used Frigidaire Commercial Freezer from a yard sale today, and I have a few questions regarding its conversion. It works great, and it's big enough for probably 4 kegs, plus a co2 bottle. She really didn't know what she was looking for, but she knew I was looking for a small freezer or fridge. I thought it was awesome.

First, I am fairly certain I'll need a thermostat to keep the temperature up. Any suggestions? I'm looking at this http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26.html

Biggest concern: The freezer has metal racks/shelves that appear to contain a coolant circulation system. I've never dealt with anything like this. It's looking like it might be hell to pull the shelves. What can I do to pull those shelves? Is it even worth the effort? Has anyone ever bent them out of the way successfully? I've read other threads with this question, but never really heard of how bending them turned out.

Yes, people have bent the cooling shelves down against the backwall of an upright freezer....but also, I believe people have wrecked units trying this as well...use ultimate care!

Back