Cold Crashing Outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanomac

Reaction score
I've been reading the large sticky on different yeasts, juices, sugars, etc. Tons of great info there. I'm a little confused about cold crashing though. I have about 5 gallons of cider fermenting now in a primary. I added 2.5lbs of corn sugar and .5lbs of brown sugar to get an OG of 1.071. I'm using Cooper's. I'd like to split this into a couple of batches. The bulk I would like to keep still, but semi-dry. Seems like the crowd pleaser's in Kevin's postings are around 1.006. The rest, maybe 1 gallon, I'd like to carbonate in a bottle using priming sugar.

What are the guidelines for cold crashing? I do not have a refrigerator dedicated to cider and beer making, so shoving a 6 gallon carboy in my fridge is not an option. Finding space for multiple 1 gallon carboys won't work either. It's getting down into the upper 30's at night. Could I just leave the carboy outside? How long does crashing take and what temp? Once I bring it back inside, the yeast is no longer active?

For the gallon or so that I want to carbonate, I assume I would siphon that off before crashing the rest, let it clear, then bottle it in champagne bottles with added sugar and let them sit.

You can cold crash in a keg bucket with some ice. A buddy of mine did that and it came out great. I've found it usually takes a day for the cider to clear up, two days will get it a little bit more clear and not much improvement after that. Remember, rack, crash and rack again, so that you leave all the yeast behind.

JUst a word of caution.......I had the same idea last year and packed a carboy in snow to make sure it it got cold enough. It got a little warm in the afternoon and I didn't get home from work till late and I ended up having to chip a 5 gallon glasscarboy out of a pile of snow and ice!!!

Back