Hops in Michigan not coming up yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
I have three hop plants in the backyard planted directly in the ground. I haven't seen anything pushing up at all. This will be their second year in the ground so I expected them to start shooting up vigorously since they more established now. Should I dig down and check out the roots and see if there's an issue? I covered them pretty heavily with mulch over the winter to protect them. Any thoughts on what I should do? thanks.

Half of mine (first year) haven't emerged yet. I'm not going to mess with them, since I still suspect they may be rooting, and will sprout when they feel like it, or not at all.

I don't see how digging around them can do anything but hurt them.

How deep are yours?

Wait. The ground has to be fairly warm before they come up. Definitely do not dig around and kill the secondary roots.

Wait. The ground has to be fairly warm before they come up. Definitely do not dig around and kill the secondary roots.

I must agree. I foolishly dug around for mine and I am pretty sure I killed one of my 3 rhizomes...maybe 2 of the 3. Just be patient.

Mine are finally up- barely. The hallertauer are actually about 2 feet high now, but the cascades are just poking up. There are more bines that I expected, but they are only about 8 inches high!

Back