Hop freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
I've had some hops in a zip lock in my fridge for several weeks, are they still good? and along the same lines, I've had some milled grains in a zip lock too for the same time. What do you think are they still good?

As long as hops are relatively secured away from air, heat, and sunlight they will last for years. The freezer will increase longevity over the fridge, but even in a 38F fridge, they'll last a very, very long time.

A senior beer master can correct me if i'm wrong but arn't all the hops harvested in the fall and they have to last the entire year. If you have them in the fridge (or better yet the freezer) then they will be fine.

I've had grain cracked and in the back of a car for two months while i was underway. I brewed with it and it was still awesome. There is a lot of worry and a lot of it is just paranoia.

Back