What is the best digital thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I wanted to know what everyone is using for a thermometer with their cooler mash tun. I want to get a new one but thought I would get everyone's suggestion. My only request would be one that reads fast.

Recently bit the bullet and bought a thermapen. Not sure why I didn't do this from the beginning. Best thermo you can buy.

That's kinda what I was thinking about. Just didn't know if there was anything better for checking temps in a cooler.

THIS ONE seems to get the best reviews. (Thermapen - as others have noted) Although the color choice right now seems somewhat limited, if that matters to you. I've seen them offered in a wide range of colors before, however. Maybe they'll come back with other colors soon?

CDN

thermodata.jpg

I have one of those and bought a Thermapen. They're within a couple of tenths of each other.
I'm a firm believer in "measure twice and cut once." Anyone depending on one thermometer, no matter how good it claims to be (or how much you paid for it,) is being careless. You can buy two CDN’s for half the price of one Thermapen. The accuracy, dependability and speed of the CDN are all you need.

I dropped one of my CDN’s into a pot of boiling wort. Eventually scooped it out with a spoon and it still works as if nothing happened. Try that with your "splash proof" Thermapen! (I know . . . why was I checking the temperature of boiling wort? :cross:)

I'm a firm believer in "measure twice and cut once." Anyone depending on one thermometer, no matter how good it claims to be (or how much you paid for it,) is being careless. You can buy two CDN’s for half the price of one Thermapen. The accuracy, dependability and speed of the CDN are all you need.

I dropped one of my CDN’s into a pot of boiling wort. Eventually scooped it out with a spoon and it still works as if nothing happened. Try that with your "splash proof" Thermapen! (I know . . . why was I checking the temperature of boiling wort? :cross:)

There's an old saying that goes something like, "a person with one watch always knows what time it is. A person with two is never really sure."

I see no problem with only having one thermometer, so long as one checks the accuracy from time to time. If you have two, and they get different readings, which one do you believe?

I see no problem with only having one thermometer, so long as one checks the accuracy from time to time. If you have two, and they get different readings, which one do you believe?
Well, between the Ranco temperature control, an OXO thermometer in a thermowell and two hand held CDN's used for spot checking different locations in the mash, I think I'd be able to come to some conclusion if there was any discrepancy. (Yeah . . . slightly OCD :D)

. . . and all four cost me about the same as the list price of one Thermapen

Sure, you're fine with one thermometer (until you're not.)

that little chart says the thermapen takes 7 secs, like the other one does... is that correct?
I believe that Bobby_M from here on HBT ran trials on the thermometers and came up with those numbers.

(edit to add link: found it here)

Cool... the one guy sais HIS TP was INSTANT and the chart says otherwise... So I am gonna go with the cdn.... thanx for the link

Buy a lab thermometer for a fraction of the price... I bought mine at VWR for +- 60$ but they have tons of models.

Mine is their 46610-024, it's the Ultra model and got like a 10 feet cord.... a lot better than a handheld one like the thermapen.... and almost as fast.... I dont remember waiting for long, maybe 10 sec max... It's also lab tested for standard certification, which is nice.

The CDN at brewhardware.com sure looks nice and it's dirt cheap at 17$...

Good luck

Latest posts

Back