Tips for an old guy trying to learn guitar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at GC picking up strings and came across the Boss DS 1 Distortion pedal used for $21. Didn't even bother to play it, but picked it up. Crap it's a fantastic pedal - it makes the average joe sound like he halfway knows what he's doing.

I coupled this with my Hall of Fame Reverb pedal and got a really nice, deep and complex distortion. Fun to play around with, and adds a whole new realm to the sounds I can make now.

So jammed in a studio last night. It was really cool they had amps mics drums everything you need pretty much guitar and bass players just need to bring a guitar and bass 10 bucks an hour for everybody so two hours is 20 bucks. It was fun we turned it up and play music. It was hard for me I'm used to just kind of hanging out in the back playing piano and keys but with just two of us a drummer and a guitar player I had to be the guy. We were joking about it it was fun we turned it waaaay up and played music. It was hard for me. I don't want to be the guy I want to be the assistant to the guy. It was weird especially cuz I don't sing well. One thing I like that we did was whether the song was good or not we saw it through start to finish. There is a beauty in hanging with a song

I was fortunate enough to be able to see an Irish harp player at Silver Dollar City's World Fest, then a week later Paul McCartney.

Seeing him play, it's hard to believe he's 72 years old. He played for 3 hours, and took NO breaks! I'm not a super huge Beatles fan, but my wife is. I will say that I ended up enjoying the show much more than I thought I would. Of coarse his performance was amazing but he told some really great stories too. My favorite, was one where he spoke of being at his "buddy George's house" and playing the Uke, he then held up a uke that was the exact one he had been playing that day, (it was an old Gibson, looked kinda beat up).

He played his famous Hofner bass, he also played an electric which looked to be some sort of Custom Les Paul. I especially enjoyed the songs where he just played the acoustic, no band or anything. He played a couple different acoustics, one looked to be an old Martin maybe, the other was actually a right handed guitar that he was playing up side down, the pick guard gave that away. I think he may have played that exact guitar back in the 60s and 70s.

When he played Blackbird he talked about how playing the guitar still brings him a lot of joy in his life, he done the entire song acoustic and I was very impressed wit his ability as a guitar player. He also spoke about what the song was about and I did not know it had anything to do with civil rights, and I also didn't know he had met a couple of the "Little Rock 9" before the show and had photos taken.

One of the photos was from when he played Let It Be, lots of phones and lighters.

I paid way too much money for bad seats, but I found motivation to go home and practice harder, and to love the instrument more, and that was ultimately worth the price of admission.

Cheers!

20160428_142154m.jpg

20160430_202225m.jpg

20160430_222458m.jpg

20160430_224106.jpgm.jpg

Very cool you got to see him play. I was hoping to see him play in Grand Rapids, but all the seats pretty much were taken in the presales. Now there are a couple available for $700+ but nooooo thank you.

I have read people say he'll play for 4 hours without stopping to even take a drink of water. Unreal.

@estricklin awesome post, really. Appreciate it.

Yeah I'm sick of people buying all the tickets out only so they can sell them for $700.

@estricklin awesome post, really. Appreciate it.

Yeah I'm sick of people buying all the tickets out only so they can sell them for $700.

Welcome and yeah it's getting to be a joke. I was on the internet the very second they went on sale, and every reasonable ticket was gone already. The American Express presale was more of "the sale". The worst part is there were seats available for as low as 42 bucks, pretty good pricing I think, but I paid right at 100 from vivid seats.

Kinda makes you think twice about even going to concerts. I can see all my favorite red dirt artists for a fraction of the cost but the money we spent on tickets/gas/food would have financed a weekend get away!

As for more guitar related stuff, I've been playing Chili Peppers songs non stop the past few days, so fun to play.

Kinda makes you think twice about even going to concerts. I can see all my favorite red dirt artists for a fraction of the cost but the money we spent on tickets/gas/food would have financed a weekend get away!

As for more guitar related stuff, I've been playing Chili Peppers songs non stop the past few days, so fun to play.

Concerts...by the time you add in the fees and whatnot, I lose interest. I'm a huge Ben Folds fan and he's in town this weekend, but by the time they add in the fees I'm looking at $100 for two tickets for general admission. I just don't feel like going and standing around after being at work all day, and paying $50/person on top of it. I'm an old fart at heart, yeah, but I hate to see such a big portion not even going to the performer.

In other news, I've been watching Chili Pepper videos lately. Was thinking about learning a couple so it's funny you mention this.

I am going to see Fall Out Boy on my birthday at Cheyenne Frontier Days. You talk about Mark up the Motel 6 in Cheyenne is like $300 a night when it's normally 50 or 60. We are pulling our pop up and are sleeping in somebody's field for like 50 bucks. People are charging $100 or something to sleep on their lawn. The Florida Georgia Line and kiss are playing at Frontier Days as well. So we wanted to see Ed Sheeran at Red Rocks and my wife myself and three co-workers all of us got online none of us were able to get tickets I think it was an American Express deal again. Or the Press gets all the tickets. My wife had one ticket to Adele she didn't buy it and later realized she could have sold it for $500. My friend works security at Red Rocks and he has assured me that money is in traveling and doing shows, they don't make money off album sales like they used to.
I have to be able to stand around now if I want to dance go back to the bar and get a beer walk around I'm happy. If there's if their seats I Can't Dance and we went to Rob Thomas and everybody was sitting except the two idiots in front of us and who's going to tell somebody to sit down at a concert not me anyways other people were by the way and so we had to stand which pissed the people off behind us and it's kind of hard to dance and get into it when everybody else around you were sitting and you are the only two standing well 4 people standing that is.

Okay back to guitar playing have you learned that sweet Lick to snow? I used to play Under the Bridge but never really mastered it straight through. I am always impressed by Anthony's vocals on give it away now he really Nails it for like 5 minutes straight, so my buddy and I sound like a band out there that makes lots of money and is pretty popular they are called The Black Keys and their music is really fun to play blues rock licks awesome happy strumming, oh one last thing yeah I'm actually practicing a little now because I want to be the guy so I can't get by with half-a.. knowing the song

Any update from the old guy trying to learn guitar? How's it been going?

My sister and I were asked to play guitar/sing for a Luminaria Ceremony for a Relay for Life event last weekend. I've played in front of 75 or so people before, but this was a little different. Spot lights, fantastic sound system, about 250-300 people in the crowd. I wasn't too nervous until my ex-girlfriend walked up to me right before the ceremony...crap - now the pressure is on; I have to show her what she's missing out on!

Everything went fantastic and it was a lot of fun.

That's an awesome experience. It's cool your sister is your singer. Sounds like a real honor. That's a hell of a lot of people and a big stage. Was it acoustic or electric

My friend and I haven't been to the studio in a few weeks. I've Been Working On The Black Keys Lonely Boy still and gold on the ceiling. I've got Eye of the Tiger pretty well down that's funny. Was watching the Minions movie and heard you really got me and I think I'm going to learn that one.

Yeah, my sister is an amazing singer. She got the gig, and asked me to play for her so I owe the experience to her. I was playing acoustic, picking.

One song her and I have been working on is Ride by Twenty One Pilots. She's got the uke part done, and I'm baring chords for it. Hoping to record it the next time we hang out and I'll post it if it works out.

Oh, I'll be getting a mandolin in a couple weeks too, so I'm excited to work on that.

Did it, I finally did it, i fixed it. It was just wood glue. I put the glue on it and clamped it and realized it needed different clamp. Anyways I was worried I screwed with it too much. I let it sit overnight and it's fixed so far anyways fingers crossed. Just fell one day. I saved the strings and reused them. Pos sounds better now haha

View attachment 1468039449827.jpg

View attachment 1468039458018.jpg

Downloaded tab for Baby Blue, by Badfinger. Kind of a simple song, but challenging for me as it's just not a style of playing I am used to. I only picked it out on acoustic as I wanted to watch some classic Star Trek with my older daughter while I practiced. Got a few basic chords figured out, but I need work to make it sound clean.

Downloaded tab for Baby Blue, by Badfinger. Kind of a simple song, but challenging for me as it's just not a style of playing I am used to. I only picked it out on acoustic as I wanted to watch some classic Star Trek with my older daughter while I practiced. Got a few basic chords figured out, but I need work to make it sound clean.

one of the greatest uses of music in a TV series

Last edited by a moderator:
Had another look at Baby Blue and see people playing it without the Capo. Double checked the tab I printed and it calls for a capo.

Dang it! I think it's not supposed to use a capo! The tab I used must be wrong. Looks WAY easier without! Just a bunch of barre chords and a few fills.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvyvZcBrhm0[/ame]

Be sure to check out Part 2 for the second guitar parts. Guys got good sound here.

Last edited:
When I Googled it the version that popped up was this and it was live. One is playing bar chords and the other guy is playing the lead. The challenge is having the hand strength to play the whole song in bar chords i think. I don't ever capo but I got no problem with it either.

https://youtu.be/C53QAuOoSgc

Yep, barre chords can be challenging unless you're used to it.

I also found a nice version of "Jungle Love" Steve Miller song with the correct Open A tuning. Another great song I need to learn (And not too difficult). I jus thave to buy a friggin pickup for my Kramer and tune that thing to open A.

Worst part about that is deciding which pickup to buy. I always start shopping online and then can't choose one.

I also found a nice version of "Jungle Love" Steve Miller song with the correct Open A tuning. Another great song I need to learn (And not too difficult). I jus thave to buy a friggin pickup for my Kramer and tune that thing to open A.

Worst part about that is deciding which pickup to buy. I always start shopping online and then can't choose one.

neck, middle or bridge?
single coil or humbucker?
I'm guessing you want to play Classic Rock, a wide variety of drive levels, from clean to heavy? or a more bluesy tone? heavier? super-crunchy-metal?
want an active pickup and have room for a battery?

haven't researched pickups in a while, don't know much about what's out there, other than your standard DiMarzios and Duncans

I have a '97 California Strat with a Duncan JB Jr in the bridge, Lil '59 in the neck. both single coil-sized humbuckers and they work for me to play a wide variety of music, from clean to mega-crunch. of course an OD pedal and a Marshall 100-watt help too

used to have push-pulls on my tone knobs, so I could split the coils, but now I have a ToneShaper and run straight humbucking all the time

The pickups like a ball of string, how long do you want it. I would guess that some pickups could even be $300 now. My thoughts, see if you can't find a good one on Craigslist. Most of the pickups that are put in even some nice guitars stock, really aren't that good so any aftermarket pickup will be sweet. Guitar Center and some other used instrument stores around will have pickups. I think sticking with the aforementioned trustable names are a good idea. I love that pickup in my Yamaha I'll find out what it is. I think the neck is Yamaha but the the bridge is hot. I'm going to try to play that tab you offered today. I like it.

Edit... yes it's a Seymour Duncan JB Bridge humbucker. Quick search on Google show them to be about 79. I guess I'm at the point in my life where I just rather buy the same thing for 40 bucks used. Well and have it today too.

I can't decide what I need. I have an Ibanez with a Joe, but I'd really like ANOTHER GUITAR for some of the classic blues/clean sound. Maybe a decent hollowbody or LP. I just haven't played enough in the past many years to earn a new guitar.

I think anything less than some hot pickup is a waste in the old Kramer. It's an EVH style guitar: 1 pickup 1 knob. (Except I routed a spot for a neck pickup before a friend gave me his Ibanez...)

So I guess I need both pickups. I honestly can't recall if I even have a single pickup in it right now. It's capable of twin humbuckers. Has Floyd Rose locking trem.

I'm actually not that picky. I'm sure if I just bought something I'd be fine with it. I've thought about active pickups in that guitar as well.

A friend recommended an off-brand brand who sells their own line of pickups. Slightly less expensive than the usual, but supposed to be pretty similar. Anything is better than nothing.

I think you're headed on the right path, I like your thinking. The upside here is cool, for a small fee you'll get a guitar up and running that's pretty sweet. I have 6 guitars and man I was happy to have this little Charvel fixed. I like that lick you sent. Don't know about you but I can't play it the way he does. My chubby hands are too big. Rather than Slide the second finger down on the e lick I have no problem playing the e with 4 fingers. Little smoother transition to really.

Songs I've been playing recently are eye of the tiger, Lonely Boy Black Keys, Turn the Page, The Kinks You Really Got Me, wombats give me a try , I Will Wait Mumford & Sons , and Gold on the Ceiling

Songs I've been playing recently are eye of the tiger, Lonely Boy Black Keys, Turn the Page, The Kinks You Really Got Me, wombats give me a try , I Will Wait Mumford & Sons , and Gold on the Ceiling

I don't know most of those songs. I play the Van Halen version of You Really Got Me, though.

I've tried Eye of the Tiger, but IMO it just doesn't sound right without the drums. I've played along with the song though. Not positive I got the chords correct. I never looked up the different tabs on that one to see if any of them were correct (there are a LOT of wrong tabs out there!) Just played it by ear.

Life's been too busy for me to play at all the past few days. I really want to get back to the Baby Blue practicing. Maybe this weekend.

Hope you get some time to practice. I have to try to find time it seems anymore. I love Eye of the Tiger. the tab is out there and it's good. I just totally get into it, like all in. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know any Van Halen songs, You Really Got Me is a good place to start, thanks for the idea. If you like that bluesy lick on baby blue you might like the Black Keys check out Lonely Boy. I think they kick a..
http://youtu.be/ga8eRdFK710

Got through Baby Blue. Even almost learned the solo but it was getting late and I have no callouses for bending strings at this time.

My guitar sound was just ok. I think I need thicker strings. Sounding kind of thin unless the juice is cranked way up. I think my cord needs to be trimmed back and the plugs re-soldered. I think I was getting a little loss when I wiggled it a bit. Didn't want to waste too much time choosing the right amp/cabinet combo. It was close.

Started to look up Jungle Love, then I remembered it's played in Open A. D'oh! Guess I *could* retune my old "Screamer" (Sears Cort Effector that had been gutted and frankensteined with the whammy bar bridge in fixed position after it broke.) Technically that thing plays, and it actually doesn't play too bad.

^^right amp/cabinet combo? You have more than one, im jealous. Sounds like you got a bunch of cool guitars too. I love playing different guitars. I don't normally practice with an amp or with any special guitar. Usually if I get in the mood to play I grabbed the closest one to me. Would like to play my Gibson a little more it doesn't get played enough. But when I went to the studio and hooked it up to a Half Stack, it really was the wrong instrument for that kind of music. To much feedback. Traded a 77 Telecaster for it. Stupid choice but my hands are way too big for a Telecaster neck

^^right amp/cabinet combo? You have more than one, im jealous. Sounds like you got a bunch of cool guitars too. I love playing different guitars. I don't normally practice with an amp or with any special guitar. Usually if I get in the mood to play I grabbed the closest one to me. Would like to play my Gibson a little more it doesn't get played enough. But when I went to the studio and hooked it up to a Half Stack, it really was the wrong instrument for that kind of music. To much feedback. Traded a 77 Telecaster for it. Stupid choice but my hands are way too big for a Telecaster neck

I have a Peavey Vyper. Modeling amp. Nothing special and fairly inexpensive. Doesn't sound bad for what it is. It doesn't have different cabinets now that I think about it. My old GNX pedal had that. I think it retails for about $140. They have a smaller version with fewer effects for less. Pretty good deal for a practice amp with all of the features. There's newer amp models out now with all kinds of fancy junk. Probably too complicated for me to understand how to use!

I have 3 electric guitars. None of them are valuable or special except for me. I can't see getting rid of any of them. Just guitars I owned all these years.

Ok, maybe if the RIGHT guitar became available, I'd consider trading them...

I had to Google modeling amp. It's funny the two amps mentioned are yours and mine. Mine is the Roland Cube 60. I am a firm believer in Roland amps for practice or small room. I had a Marshall Half Stack sounded like s*** unless it was turned up. Then I realized anywhere big had their own sound equipment and or I can always mic my little guy. Peavey makes for a nice practice amp. I'm more usually concerned with what/how I'm playing then the amp. And like I said I rarely practice with it on. I hadn't played in a long time this thread kind of got me going I appreciate that about it. My mom picked up a couple of cool guitars for me from a guy who bought a new guitar and said he spiritually felt like he had to get rid of the others to make room for the new. Always found that interesting because the rest of us usually hold on to our axes for one reaso or another. Plus they were cool guitars one is an ovation Legend and the other is the sixties or seventies Takamine that was sued by Martin because it looked like one

Small amps are great for most bar gigs and small venues. Whatever gives the sound you want. There isn't really any reason to have a huge amp unless you don't have an PA system anyway.

But I don't play gigs. It's just for my own personal enjoyment. And my amp is WAY more powerful than I need in my small room. I can barely get it off of ZERO.
I'd downsize, but I like the effects this model has and the smaller one has fewer options.

Small amps are great for most bar gigs and small venues. Whatever gives the sound you want. There isn't really any reason to have a huge amp unless you don't have an PA system anyway.

But I don't play gigs. It's just for my own personal enjoyment. And my amp is WAY more powerful than I need in my small room. I can barely get it off of ZERO.
I'd downsize, but I like the effects this model has and the smaller one has fewer options.

I have the VYPR 1 and it's really fantastic. My favorite amp models are the Twin and the British. I'll play around with the others occasionally, and it does work well as a VERY versatile acoustic amp.

I usually go with the XXX or one of the hot amps. I'm finding it a little more difficult to tweak the older rock sounds. Not sure if it's the amp of my guitar/cord. I think it's just harder to model a semi-clean tube amp sound. Might be I'm just not good at adjusting the settings.

I really should play with the effects and stuff more and see what I can learn. A little sound tweaking can go a long way.

I like my Marshall JCM900. 100 watts, but it's got a switch in the back to cut that to 50w. better for practice and smaller venues

no modeling on it, just 1 mode: British Stack

plus, it goes to 20

299.jpg

Back