My goodness, my Guiness!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazygee69

Reaction score
Hasanyone else ever got smashed on Guiness? It was quite an expierence for me as I went to watch the UFC. I just had a guilty concious bc I drink it for pleasure and I drink apfelwein or at least a hb to get smashed.

Guinness was the first beer I ever drank, and remains as my all time favorite commercial beer. If I had a bottlecap for every time I've been hammered on Guinness, I could supply everyone on this site for life.

It takes me many Guinness to do the trick...and I love it.

Just bought a new puppy this past weekend and named him Guinness :)

I remember the time I tried it for the first time at 16 in Paris. I dumped it down the sink.

Then it was the first beer I drank in London when I got there at 21. That's the moment I got past BMC.

Then I remember the time I got to one of my favorite bars in state college to find that Guinness was half price. Yikes.

Now, I honestly don't find the taste all that impressive, and yet I have a neon signs, posters, and pint glass after pint glass with the Guinness name on it. Funny how a beer can have a lot more value to it than just the way it tastes. Or how it gets you hammered.

IMO, Guinness draught is pretty crap. Tho, I love the foreign extra stout.

I think the main reason most people love Guinness is because they associate it hand in hand with all the misconceptions about Ireland and the 'dude' factor of owning Guinness fratboy posters.

Though, Guinness and Paddy's (whiskey) makes for a great night! :drunk:

I love it for the memory of snowboarding all day long, drinking Guinness all night, then waking up and finishing up my pint for breakfast before heading back to the slopes.

The remains of that pint that I drank for breakfast was probably the best beer I've ever had, ever. Its maybe not so much the beer in cases like that, but the memories we associate with them. I also remember running around Caye Caulker in Belize eying all the "Guinness Is Good for You" signs on the "bars". SWMBO's sister and I got one of them for the price of two pints. Okay..maybe THAT pint was the best pint of Guinness I ever had......

naw.

Or maybe it was the pint I drank in Massachusetts right after a 3 day road trip in a 1964 Nova SS convertible with three friends..the car overheated, broke an oil pan(we spent a night on a flatbed trailer at the tow company in South Dakota, whole other story!) and I spent a good part of the trip cooling down the ignition control module with a coke can. Three days, coast to coast, in a car that had just been put through it inaugural trip around the block after being rebuilt.

Guinness for me isn't all just about the beer, its what I associate with it. Its a great beers!:rockin:

It takes me many Guinness to do the trick...and I love it.

Just bought a new puppy this past weekend and named him Guinness :)

i have a little yorshire terrier, and he when we got him he was all black with a creamy head. We called him Guinness, quite the dog, now he is gray and not smart! haha

If the answer to your question revolves around whether you went to see the UFC live or at a bar/buddies place then we have 2 totally different answers.

If you were seeing the event live - then chances are you paid WAYYYY that much for good beer in that overpriced venue and watch LIVE MMA.Oh and I hate you. (Jealously does funny things to me) ;)

If it was at a buddies house - Yes, I have gotten tanked from Guiness before. It takes a bit more than the oh say Devilwein, but yes it has happened.

My advise - either way if you want live MMA go to an ammy show or a lesser known pro org. Live MMA almost = Nirvana.

Oh this was about beer wasnt it?
-Me

If the answer to your question revolves around whether you went to see the UFC live or at a bar/buddies place then we have 2 totally different answers.

If you were seeing the event live - then chances are you paid WAYYYY that much for good beer in that overpriced venue and watch LIVE MMA.Oh and I hate you. (Jealously does funny things to me) ;)

If it was at a buddies house - Yes, I have gotten tanked from Guiness before. It takes a bit more than the oh say Devilwein, but yes it has happened.

My advise - either way if you want live MMA go to an ammy show or a lesser known pro org. Live MMA almost = Nirvana.

Oh this was about beer wasnt it?
-Me

I did go to the live UFC at phillips arena in september. It was the one when Chuck lidell gktfo by rashad evans. I don't think chuck needed any beer that night. His head had to be swimming.
You are correct though, going to live UFC is overpriced(170 a pop for second level) but it was a one time thing to say I went. PPV from now on or the local bar that shows it free everytime which is where this story took place. I drank a 12 pack before I left and kept going at the bar. Damn, goodtimes!!!

No way!?! If so, what changed?

I just tapped it into a few Irish sites and it seems it's still going on but they've taken it out of plain sight so you need to ask. But if it's no longer sponsored and costs them moneey I'll stick with the custard creams and fizzy orange till I get home...

From the RTE website:

Do they still give you a pint of Guinness when you're done?!!
Interesting one that; Guinness used to sponsor the Guinness supplied to the service under the myth of "Guinness is good for you". They used to supply Guinness to all the Dublin hospitals, including maternity hospitals. Nowadays, the IBTS must provide all refreshments and while the Guinness is still on offer, they also serve Beer, Tea & Coffee!

IMO, Guinness draught is pretty crap. Tho, I love the foreign extra stout.

I think the main reason most people love Guinness is because they associate it hand in hand with all the misconceptions about Ireland and the 'dude' factor of owning Guinness fratboy posters.

Though, Guinness and Paddy's (whiskey) makes for a great night! :drunk:

I am sure anyone who has ever been to Ireland can honestly say there are no 'misconceptions' about the associations of Guiness and Ireland. I was in Cobh and Cork last year and I can honestly say Guiness was everywhere. Guiness is about as Irish as you get.

Back