Question about using Brewferm kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
I picked up a Brewferm Abbey kit at my LHBS that will yield 9 liters and plan to brew it in a few days. At my LHBS recommendation, I'm using a pound of Amber DME to add to it. I read the Brewferm instructions and it doesn't say to boil. I guess my question is should I boil to add the DME? The instructions say to add warm water but I'm not sure this is taking the DME into account. What would you recommend? :confused:

I boiled the DME with a few quarts of water. After removing the pot from the burner, added the can to the hot water/malt so it would mix better. Then I gave it a quick cool down in a water bath, poured in carboy and topped off. Gave it a good shake and added hydrated yeast.

This was the batch that got left in the primary for 3 months (not intentionally). With much trepidation, I opened the carboy gave it a smell. Smelled and tasted like beer so I bottled it up. It's not bad for a canned it.

you don't have to boil the dme, it is sanitized already. I just desolve it with the warm water. never had a problem

Back