50qt Igloo MLT $25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
Shopko has the Igloo 50qt Marine Cube ice chest on clearance right now for $24.99. Makes a nifty mash/lauter tun that comes with beer holders. Here it is in action during the protien rest of todays Bock.

New MLT.jpg

Quick question,

What it the approx wall thickness where the valve is installed? I haven't drilled mine yet and I want to figgure out how long (short) of a nipple I need.

I bought that cooler with a $10 off any purchase from Dick's sporting goods. Final price was 19.99.

camiller said:
Quick question,

What it the approx wall thickness where the valve is installed? I haven't drilled mine yet and I want to figgure out how long (short) of a nipple I need.

I bought that cooler with a $10 off any purchase from Dick's sporting goods. Final price was 19.99.

Don't drill your cooler out! Remove the drain valve. There should be a nut on the inside of the cooler. Place the new ball valve where the old drain was.

There are kits or you can get parts from a hardware or big box building supply store.

I'm using a SS braid. Works pretty good, though I keep catching it with the mash paddle because it doesn't sit tight to the bottom with a thin mash (1.5 qts/lb). These coolers do not have a drain installed from the factory. They do have a depression in the bottom of the cooler and a recessed area on the outside that is perfect to install your own valve set up. Wall thickness is about 3/16" at this point.

ScoutMan said:
I'm using a SS braid. Works pretty good, though I keep catching it with the mash paddle because it doesn't sit tight to the bottom with a thin mash (1.5 qts/lb). These coolers do not have a drain installed from the factory. They do have a depression in the bottom of the cooler and a recessed area on the outside that is perfect to install your own valve set up. Wall thickness is about 3/16" at this point.

Thanks ScoutMan. I'm guessing I should just get the shortest nipple I can then. I'm probably going to get all the parts tomorrow. Hoping that for my next brew day I'll be doing a all-grain Fat Tire clone.

camiller said:
Quick question,

Where did you find/get the coupon?

camiller said:
Thanks ScoutMan. I'm guessing I should just get the shortest nipple I can then. I'm probably going to get all the parts tomorrow. Hoping that for my next brew day I'll be doing a all-grain Fat Tire clone.
I used a 1 inch nipple, drilled a 11/16" hole, and made up the difference on the inside with brass washers. I couldn't find any SS locally.

Is this the largest of the coolers people use for mashing? I have a 10-gallon gott mash tun, and it just isn't cutting it for 10-gallon batched with OG's higher than about 1.060.

Back