New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonbear

Reaction score
Hi I just got my first beer kit for Christmas my wife bought me the true brew bock kit and a cool starter set up. I have been following the instructions on the kit but it says to ferment for a week then bottle and let rest for about 3weeks. Should it ferment longer I do not have a secondary ferment bucket do I need one? And should I do a secondary fermentation on this batch? Sorry for all the questions but this is my first brew and I do not want to mess up.
I have wanted to do this for a long time so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I have never used the true brew bock kit. But a week sounds short to me. But to be up front, I have only brewed 3 batches so far. I would say, wait 3 weeks. No secondary is needed unless you are adding fruit, or dry hopping. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong. IMHO it seems hard to mess up beer, if you think you need to dump it, ask the forum first. These helpful guys know beer.

Read all you can here. I have learned alot. But check in to see if I am being corrected by someone that knows more than me. Sounds like you have a great wife!

Thanks she completely surprised me this year, I do feel pretty lucky. This site is awesome thanks for the quick response btw.

np, I am finding I like it here as much as I love the beer I am brewing. So keep reading, and hug your wife, she bought you something wonderful.:mug:

tservice said:
I have never used the true brew bock kit. But a week sounds short to me. But to be up front, I have only brewed 3 batches so far. I would say, wait 3 weeks. No secondary is needed unless you are adding fruit, or dry hopping. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong. IMHO it seems hard to mess up beer, if you think you need to dump it, ask the forum first. These helpful guys know beer.

This is completely true!!

The only TRUE way to know, of course, is to test with your hydrometer. After about 10-12 days, start testing every other day. Get 3 readings the same in the vicinity of the desired FG and you're good to bottle!!

Thanks I'm excited. I'm thinking about trying some mead as well my wife may have created a monster :)

Back