Bottom Drain e-Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosstradamus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished my first bottom drain keggle for my new rig...it passed the leak check ... so I thought I would post some pics.

I used a 1.5" TC long ferrule silver soldered to the keggle and a 1.5" TC x 1" NPS Adapter from Stout for the element. The cover is a 1 1/4" conduit body from HD and the plug is a drilled out galvanized fitting. I cut the threads off the back of the conduit body, and the NPS adapter fit nicely ...with enough room for the clamp. Simply screwed in the conduit body between the element and adapter......no leaks.

A cut-out sanke spear serves as a guard for the sight glass I got from Bobby, along with the 1/2" spud. The flare on one end of the spear fit the bottom of the sight glass perfectly. I used a rubber grommet to center the sight glass within the spear at the top, and a 2" (#10) screw and 3 nuts to provide support to the top. Still need to calibrate the sight glass, but waiting until I get the other keggle done.

The TC parts came from Brewershardware.

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

Just a comment, you might want to put in a strain relief fitting.
You dont want the cable to only be fixed to the terminals.

on a side note, that keggle looks all purty and polished

I was originally thinking that I wouldn't really need a strain relief...but now that you mention it, it would't hurt. There isn't a lot of clearance in the hole I drilled, I was thinking about sliding on a rubber gromet on the cable just inside the box and then placing a couple of zip ties right behind it. Think that would be sufficient?

I was originally thinking that I wouldn't really need a strain relief...but now that you mention it, it would't hurt. There isn't a lot of clearance in the hole I drilled, I was thinking about sliding on a rubber gromet on the cable just inside the box and then placing a couple of zip ties right behind it. Think that would be sufficient?

I would recommend changing out that galv plug for a bushing with a 3/4" FPT port.
That way you can use a proper strain relief fitting.

Something like this: http://www.markertek.com/Cable-Mana...eliefs/Arlington-Industries-Inc/LPCG757.xhtml

that can be had for fairly cheap at homedepot

Latest posts

Back