wind screen for propane cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
When it is windy I have difficulty getting all that heat from the outdoor cooker..

Has anyone built a decent wind screen for an outside cooker ?

kappclark said:
When it is windy I have difficulty getting all that heat from the outdoor cooker..

Has anyone built a decent wind screen for an outside cooker ?

Yea, I made one out of some scrap plywood. It's just a 3 sided box with two 1x4's on the open side for support. It scorches a little when the fire is really hot, but does the trick and has survived an oil boilover. If I had to do it again, I would have give it about 4" clearance on each side and made it a little taller (the top is about 1/2" higher than the pot bottom.

This is what I use both as a wind-screen in the summer and as a way to avoid wasting a lot of the heat in the winter. I have no troubles at all brewing even on days like when this picture was taken (-17C and windy). It is just aluminum flashing held together with rivets.

5408-brew_day_small.jpg

'Nuff said ! WOW!

THAT should be the cover for "Extreme Brewing", if ever there was such a magazine !! Or maybe "Brewing with Santa"

I know I can pick up the scrap at the dump .. I don't know about riveting.... easy ?

This will make maple sugaring so much better as well

We have been known to get below zero here too ...

Thanks

kappclark said:
'Nuff said ! WOW!

THAT should be the cover for "Extreme Brewing", if ever there was such a magazine !! Or maybe "Brewing with Santa"

I know I can pick up the scrap at the dump .. I don't know about riveting.... easy ?

This will make maple sugaring so much better as well

We have been known to get below zero here too ...

Thanks
What can I say, I like my beer and my apartment stove sucks so I do what I have to. :) Rivets are extremely easy to work with, just pick up one of those cheap kits which comes with the riveter and some rivets. You just drill a hole where you want one, put the rivet through and use the tool on it. Easy and no sharp edges unlike using machine screws or something.

I think this is a project for next weekend ... I found some scrap at the dump...

Have Drill- will rivet.

Thanks for the inspiration..will post pics in a few weeks.

I once saw someone use a galvanized wash bucket that they cut the bottom out and put their burner inside the cutout. Looked like it worked rather well.

pldoolittle said:
I'm pretty sure he means for just around the burner itself. It's an old camping trick for backpack stoves. Should work fine.
That would have to be one monster coffee can if it were to fit my propane burner inside! :cross:

ALuminum foil.

If you want something a little more durable, swing by your local food store and buy an aluminum turkey roastin pan. Makes excellent windscreen. Plus its strong enough to hold what ever shape you bend it into.

Back