another kmeta question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
HI all,

I purchased 2 buckets of fresh wine juice,(not a kit), and started it Sept 16. I racked into a carboy when the SG got to 1.02. It is now Oct.1 and the SG is .990-.992. The directions say to rack into bucket, add sorbate and Kmeta, and then degas, then rack back into sterilized carboy. As i am going to bulk age, I wasn't going to add the sorbate, because i want a dry wine. Do i still add the Kmeta at this point, after 15 days? On the bucket it says it contains sulphites at <50 p.p.m. So my question is:

Should i add the kmeta now like the directions say, or rack and degas, then add 1/4 tsp Kmeta in another 3 months as i bulk age.

Thank you
Lindsay

barneyfife said:
HI all,

I purchased 2 buckets of fresh wine juice,(not a kit), and started it Sept 16. I racked into a carboy when the SG got to 1.02. It is now Oct.1 and the SG is .990-.992. The directions say to rack into bucket, add sorbate and Kmeta, and then degas, then rack back into sterilized carboy. As i am going to bulk age, I wasn't going to add the sorbate, because i want a dry wine. Do i still add the Kmeta at this point, after 15 days? On the bucket it says it contains sulphites at <50 p.p.m. So my question is:

Should i add the kmeta now like the directions say, or rack and degas, then add 1/4 tsp Kmeta in another 3 months as i bulk age.

Thank you
Lindsay

Yes, add the K-meta now. It will help start the clearing process.

I usually add a dose of K-meta every other racking.

I am a minimalist and only add the first dose to get it around 50 ppm based on ph. After that i am tight on exposure to oxygen and don't add any more until I bottle some 24-30 mo. later. Years of doing this and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

I'm more in the "keep the sulfites low, but at a reasonable level" camp. I use 1 campden tablet per gallon at every other racking, trying to guestimate 50 ppm or so.

Campden works as a preservative, but also as an antioxidiant, and I wouldn't leave it out.

Adding the kmeta now just saves you the trouble of remembering to do it later. It will slowly gas off over time, and since your intention seems to be bulk aging this will allow you to 'set it and forget it'. This is One of my favorite winemaking strategies, otherwise i'd never have anything make it past six months! Lol.

i dont have much too choose from yooper, sometimes people get mixed up with their info, the brew shop i go to is really really nice and clean, ill trade sanitation for false information any day.

Back