Bottling sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirch3333

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch of beer today and I already hate doing it. I made such a mess from overspill not to mention that my bottle filler malfunctioned and failed to stop the flow of beer after I removed it from the bottle. I figure that at least 12-18oz's spilled before I got it corrected :mad: . Kegging may be in my near future.

Congrats on bottling your 1st batch!!!:tank:

I keg and bottle, I kind of like bottling. Once you fine tune your method you'll be able to get away with spilling a couple of drops at the maximum.
I sit my bottling bucket at the edge of a counter with a bit of the bucket and spigot hanging over the side, I use a bottle filler and have a baking sheet on the floor to catch any drips. I fill 12 bottles at a time and then cap them, repeat that process ~4x and it is over. At the end you get the satisfaction of having 50+ beers lined up and ready to sit/carb for 3 weeks. Kegging is easier but still requires work, with cleaning the keg and the beers lines. Cheers to enjoying your first batch!

I feel your pain, I used to hate bottling. That was before purchasing a vinator, spigot, and referencing this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ Now I find it enjoyable.

That's a great idea... A lot of the problems I was having was dealing with the wand attached to the tubing (where to put it when capping). And my kitchen layout sucks so my bottles aren't within an arms reach when sitting in front of the bottling bucket. I'm sure as time goes on I'll get a system worked out. Maybe my wife will assist. Thanks for everybody's info!

You could build the twin action double-barrel bottlerator. But you know, after many, many batches like this, even with the vinator and other accoutrements, the answer is simple. I can't say it because it will draw the wrath of khan. But it's 3 letters, starts with k, ends with g, and is NOT kug.

IMG_05411.JPG
IMG_05406.JPG

i finished bottling my frist batch 2 weeks ago sunday and it was a snap was done and cleaned up in 45 min just hope i can speed this up some as i brew by self, i used an auto syphon and a bottle filler

Hi

Stop by your local brewery and go for the tour. Here's an area the size of your dining room where they do all the kegging. Over there is the bottling line. It's the size of your entire house and then some. Which one gives them more trouble .... bottling.

Bob

You could build the twin action double-barrel bottlerator. But you know, after many, many batches like this, even with the vinator and other accoutrements, the answer is simple. I can't say it because it will draw the wrath of khan. But it's 3 letters, starts with k, ends with g, and is NOT kug.

IMG_05411.JPG
IMG_05406.JPG

It is a genius endeavor!!!
:mug:

IMG_05411.JPG
IMG_05406.JPG

Great idea!

Something I read on this site that has made bottling at least easier for clean up is setting your bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher and bottling on the open dishwasher door. I've done that the last two batches and I at least don't have to clean a sticky floor. But kegging is not too far in my future.

If I was still bottling, I think I would have quit brewing. Start kegging; you will wonder what took so long. Oops, I wasn't suppose to say that. :mug:

You know there is a wonderful, but long post on bottling here that if you took the time to read, you'll learn how to make bottling so easy.

First, if you don't trust your bottling wand to stop when pressure is released, then spend $3 for a spring loaded one. When I bottle my 5 gallon batches, I lose about three tablespoons of beer into the dishwasher. Read the threads on bottling, it will show you ways to make the experience easy, quick and actually fun. At least for the 40 minutes it takes me, it does.

I got done my first batch this weekend and although it took time to set up my area and all i thought it very therapeutic. I like the sense of accomplishment i got yes it was hard but if it was a challenge to attack and try using 22 oz

Hi

1) Kegs are fine right up to the point that they are all about 1/4 full of something you want to "save for a while"... (yes I have empirical data on this)

2) If you send beer home with friends in kegs, they don't seem to return them very fast. This can get expensive in a hurry ...(data also available)

Bob

Just finished some for a F-day gift. From a keg,
Had to clean,D-label,sanitize,them.Did the bobbyM beer gun thing.
And "HATED" every minute,And that was just 6 pack..

I doubt I'd have made it past the second batch if I had to use bottles. Started with mini-kegs and switched to cornies after 3-4 batches. The only downside is if a bottle goes weird, the others might be okay. Still I've only had one batch fail while aging and that took 4 1/2 years.

Just got 35 Grolsch bottles for free this makes bottling so much easier, plus I keep about 5 cases of regular bottles on hand. Running a 2 keg set up to boot. I'm covered.

I have bottled about 12 all grain brews with ease but today I attached my racking cane to my bottling wand and it was horrible. I smell like I have been drinking all day but I was barley able to drink 1 beer during the process. And all of a sudden my capper decided it didnt want to cap and ruined around 20 caps. I have been searching for a kegging system all week and think it will deff happen sooner than later! I smell good!

Rocked out two batches this morning before the wifey was even up. I don't mind bottling at all. I also prefer all beer in the bottle so I don't see myself going to kegging anytime soon. Try bigger bottles and flip-top if it feels like a pain but you like bottles.

Just got 35 Grolsch bottles for free this makes bottling so much easier, plus I keep about 5 cases of regular bottles on hand. Running a 2 keg set up to boot. I'm covered.

Hi

In most areas it's pretty easy to get Grolsch bottles. Just let the world know you want them and they seem to show up...

Bob

Bottled my first batch of beer today and I already hate doing it. I made such a mess from overspill not to mention that my bottle filler malfunctioned and failed to stop the flow of beer after I removed it from the bottle. I figure that at least 12-18oz's spilled before I got it corrected :mad: . Kegging may be in my near future.

I switch to kegging.

Latest posts

Back