What's the Best Yeast for a Boulevard Wheat Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My daughters graduation party is in July and she wants me to brew a Boulevard. I'm following Dude's recipe but backing off the grain bill a bit to keep the ABV% down and keep this a summer session.

I want to be careful to stay away from the clove & banana strains, as this is a...well...a Boulevard Wheat drinking crowd and likely their first exposure to homebrew. I'll have plenty of my SNPA, Bass Ale and ESB flowing too for the more adventurous crowd.

Can anyone recommend a good wheat beer yeast that would work?

Thanks.

BierMuncher said:
My daughters graduation party is in July and she wants me to brew a Boulevard. I'm following Dude's recipe but backing off the grain bill a bit to keep the ABV% down and keep this a summer session.

I want to be careful to stay away from the clove & banana strains, as this is a...well...a Boulevard Wheat drinking crowd and likely their first exposure to homebrew. I'll have plenty of my SNPA, Bass Ale and ESB flowing too for the more adventurous crowd.

Can anyone recommend a good wheat beer yeast that would work?

Thanks.

1007 German Ale Yeast.
Probable origin: Dusseldorf, Germany
Beer Style: Alt beer, American style wheat beers
Commercial examples may include: St. Stan Alt, Schlosser Alt, Frankenheim Alt, and Pinkus Alt
Unique properties - True top cropping yeast, low ester formation, broad temperature range affects styles. Will ferment cold; 55° F range, (13° C) producing lager characteristics including sulfur production. Style is noted for dry, crisp characteristics. Fermentation at higher temperatures (70-75° F, 21-24° C) may produce some mild fruitiness. Extremely poor flocculating yeast, generally remains significantly in suspension without treatment or filtration. Pad filtration is often difficult. Brewer's benefit from DE filtration or centrifuging. Maturation: Beers mature fairly rapid, even when cold fermentation is used. Low or no detectable diacetyl, alcohol tolerance approximately 11% ABV. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (55-68° F, 13-20° C)

1010 American Wheat. A dry fermenting, true top cropping yeast which produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers where a low ester profile is desirable, a good alternative for Alts and Kölsch, along with American Style Hefeweizen. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation
74-78%. (58-74º F, 14-23° C)

3333 German Wheat Yeast. Subtle flavor profile for wheat yeast with unique sharp tart crispness, fruity, sherry-like palate. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 70-76%. (63-75° F, 17-24° C)

Not sure about the yeast but I must say that my variation on your Blue Balls Wit has been a big hit with my friends and family. Both with those that appreciate beer and those that don't really drink beer. Not many in my family are BMC drinkers so I don't have data on that subject.
I had a Mild, an Oatmeal Stout, an IPA and your Wit. A couple people preferred the Stout, a couple the IPA, but a half dozen or more really like the Wit, including my wife. Looks like I will have to make more.

Craig

CBBaron said:
Not sure about the yeast but I must say that my variation on your Blue Balls Wit has been a big hit with my friends and family. Both with those that appreciate beer and those that don't really drink beer. Not many in my family are BMC drinkers so I don't have data on that subject.
I had a Mild, an Oatmeal Stout, an IPA and your Wit. A couple people preferred the Stout, a couple the IPA, but a half dozen or more really like the Wit, including my wife. Looks like I will have to make more.

Craig
Glad to hear it. It's a staple at my house.

Thanks Cheese & Dude for the references and recommendations.

I think WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or safale 05 (formerly US 56).

I think that's what most "American wheats" use, and that especially sounds like the best choice for what you're going for.

I just did a Bell's Oberon clone for summer quaffing--I used safale 05.

I used wlp320 in Dude's clone. It turned out pretty good, just a little to hoppy. I blame that on the fact I did not have a scale yet and just estimated it.

Ryanh1801 said:
I used wlp320 in Dude's clone. It turned out pretty good, just a little to hoppy. I blame that on the fact I did not have a scale yet and just estimated it.
On a scale of 1-10, how strong was the banana clove presence? (1 being none at all and 10 being pretty dominant)?

If you had to guess which Wyeast of White Labs strain would be the closest to what Boulevard uses as a house strain? My guess would be WLP007

Looks like they use two different strains for the Belgian beers

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - The Spirit of Belgium: Belgian Brewing Roundtable

I keep that yeast (WLP320) at 65 or below and can't detect any banana or clove esters. It will produce a nice cloudy wit. Keep your abv down and IBU about 20 and that will make a nice summer wheat.

Back