Pouring a Basque Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearko520

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tricks on pouring a basque cider. Maybe it's the bottles that sarasola comes in, but we can never pour it slow enough to control the pour, without cider running down the outside of the bottle. I've even been practicing with water- does anyone have any tricks to getting a nice pour like the spanish people in the videos do...

a lot of places i have visited in the basque country and asturias have a little plastic cap that sticks in the bottle top and forms a t-junction, it both directs the liquid stream to the lower side and lets air in the upper. maybe it's cheating a bit but even the asturian waiters usually used it, and that's the heart of spanish cider country

great now i'm thirsty

ah - that makes sense. i was wondering how they managed to have the bottle horizontal and get such a thin stream. Thanks!!! now where to get one...

all i could find was this picture, there it is at the bottom. but i have also seen people pouring without the plastic thing, and like you i have no clue how they get it in the glass!

4114bVVVJWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

thanks! i have some wine cappers that i'm going to experiment with to see if i can make something. it seems like all the bottles are the same, but if you pour too slow, it runs down the side of the bottle and gets on your fingers and arms (eww- it's all sticky)- maybe i can decant into a pitcher or something and then pour that- although, taste aside, the coolness factor is through the roof- and a pitcher would take a bit of that away...

you are the man dinnerstick!! - i threw one of those little olive oil spouts in the end of the bottle- more conspicuous then the green dealie, but i'm not trying to fool anyone (unlike those spaniards were me- wait are basques spaniards?) anyway - IT WORKS!! i got from the glass to one meter in like a half a second and it doesn't splash too bad if you roll it down the side of the glass. I can't wait to impress everyone at the tavern with this... Thanks a million dude- nothing like first hand experience to indoctrinate the uninitiated!

I cut the cork into a wedge on one end, and put the wedge end partially back into the bottle, leaving a air hole and a pour hole on opposite side of the cork right by the bottle mouth. then pour away just like you're at a sardotegi.

PS: I love sarasola. one of my ATF.

Back