when why and how to cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi86

Reaction score
i hear a lot about this and i was justwondering,well, when why and how do you cold crash. is it to stop fermentation, slow it down, clear your mead before bottling, ive heard (read) people use it in referenceto all these things and i just want to know the reasoning and technique. i knowits also a debateable practice, which iswhy i ask for technique and reason. thanks for any replies. :mug:

I did it to speed clearing in a stuborn mead that was clearing too slowly to satisfy my ADD. that's the maddness- As for the method, I just stuck it in my freezer and waited until it was near freezing, then moved it to the fridge to "condition" for a while as it fininshed clearing. I think that it sped clearing by a good bit, but I think that the yeasts didn't get a fair shot at cleaning up after themselves because it tasted a little off- not really bad, but just different in a hard to pin down.

Back