New Keg - Pressure Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Long story short - Bought a new (used) keg and got home to find the posts were on so tight that I could not remove one. One of them had a "star" type fitting on it. Returned it and exchanged with no questions but when I got home I realized that the second keg does not have the pull type relief valve on the lid (has the raised thimble shaped part with 3 holes at the top). Any plusses/minuses to this type? I assume you relieve the pressure by depressing the poppet? Can I replace the lid on this type keg with one that has a relief valve or will those not fit?

You can use that lid. It is nice to have the pressure valve though. You have to put a gas connector without a tube attached on the gas side and just let the air come out, or use a screwdriver or something. You can interchange them though so if you have an extra just use that.

I would have bought a new wrench and kept the first keg. The Star fittings are actually very nice.. craftsman box wrenches work just fine.

I would have kept it, but in the process of trying to remove it, a couple of the "points" stripped off. I actually took it back hoping the guy at the store would have been able to remove it for me, but he just offered an exchange.

FYI The "star" type fitting is a 12 point nut. If you buy a socket for it make sure to get a 12 point as it will work for both kinds of fittings.

Back