Infection Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
So my last three batches taste acidic. Sour. Not carbed.

In bottles carbed with coopers tabs.

I think it might be an infection but there were no visible signs and they tasted fine in when I transferred to secondary. I also have found out there is chloromine in my tap water which until now I brewed with.

I primary in plastic and secondary in plastic or glass carboys

My questions are;
Could the chloromine alone cause these issues? How should I reclean all of my equipment? Does this sound like an infection to anyone?

Any thoughts or suggestions would help out greatly!

Irish red basic based of jamil's
A chocolate rasp porter
And a peanutbutter porter

Temps are controlled 68°

Yeast varied dry safeale5 for rasp, wyeast London for peanut, and wyeast English for the red

May Also be my rims buy I run oxyclean followed by a hot water rinse after every brewday and it's only a 3200w 240 running at 110 so like a ~800w element so I wouldn't think it's scorching anything. Plus it also didn't taste like that.

I think I've traced it to being a lacto infection from grinding in the same garage into my fermenting buckets(they should tell you not to do that when you buy a mill). Does this sound legit. I'm going to trash all plastics and keep the buckets for grain storage(is this ok) and bleach bomb kegs and my carboys and betterbottle. Then a pbw wash and a star San rinse. Will this work

Do not use bleach on kegs. It will eat into the steel.

You will definitely clean the equipment but the water might be the problem and if that's the case, whatever you do to your equipment won't help. Bacteria naturally exists on everything that doesn't have active sanitizer on it. Assuming infection is the issue, you could definitely give your equipment a good long PBW soak followed by a long starsan soak to make sure you kill anything hanging out in your equipment.

Have you actually seen anything during or after fermentation to suggest infection or is this just a guess?

4 batches taste sour and have no carb. No visual signs but lacto doesnt always show signs right. Can't it get stronger as it ages. I'll just toss the plastics and start grinding inside. Rather play it safe then sorry. Why about my better bottle is it trash?

Back