BeerSmith recipe version question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started using BeerSmith and I like it fine. This is more a question about how you use it. I like to take a recipe and make changes the next time I brew it and the time after that and so on. Do you just change your existing recipe or do you add a new version of the same recipe each time so you can see the changes that have been made?
I am a little goofy about record keeping and I can see me having numerous versions of the same recipe.

Just curious.

Hi Tony, what I do is when I brew a batch, I save that recipe to the 'brew log'. The recipe is still in the recipes, and I can adjust it or change it there for the next time. But its also in the brew log, which I never change, its the record of what exactly I brewed.

Hi Tony, what I do is when I brew a batch, I save that recipe to the 'brew log'. The recipe is still in the recipes, and I can adjust it or change it there for the next time. But its also in the brew log, which I never change, its the record of what exactly I brewed.

That's cool. I didn't see the "Copy to Brew Log" button.

Thanks.

That's cool. I didn't see the "Copy to Brew Log" button.

Thanks.

I still can't see a "copy to brew log" button. I also can find no documentation in the Beersmith help section for what the "Version" up/down buttons in a recipe do. It allows you to click up and down (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.). Does this save a new version if I click save after changing the recipe version number? Do I still have a copy of the previous version?

I still can't see a "copy to brew log" button. I also can find no documentation in the Beersmith help section for what the "Version" up/down buttons in a recipe do. It allows you to click up and down (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.). Does this save a new version if I click save after changing the recipe version number? Do I still have a copy of the previous version?

When you change the revision number of a recipe, and allow it to save under another name (when you hit the 'ok' button) you'll see another recipe listed with the rev number after it (like 1.1)...

Personally, I number the recipe by which batch it is. So if I'm brewing an earlier brew again, it gets a new leading number. To get this, I simply copy/paste the recipe from the 'brewed' directory to the 'on deck' directory in BeerSmith and renumber/rename it. Very easy there.

Do what you need to help your record keeping. If you're working out a recipe and have a few different versions you're thinking about brewing, then the rev number option makes a lot of sense. Once you've brewed it, and are looking to brew it again with some tweaks, I'd have a new recipe entry for it.

Wow, old thread but relevant regardless.

I can't believe they haven't found a better way to do this. Usually I'll just copy a recipe and give it a new name. And every brew I do gets moved to the brew log. Seems like it would make more sense to have "recipes" and brew sessions as completely separate entities rather than the same items under different, ambiguous folders. I'm just glad I found the "copy to brew log" option the first time I used it.

Back