NEW Chicago bulk buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
For anyone that missed the group buy that just closed, and you still want/need grain, please post here so that I can gauge the interest in opening up another buy. I know that I need at least 5 bags. Saw a few others that did not get in on the last buy, so I am hopeful.

If this pallet can come together in a *few* days then you will be able to group it with the other buy being coordinated by Niilo and wernerherzog. Also, if there's no pirice difference between 2 and 3 pallets of grain then it may not make sense for the other buy to include this one. I will ask the distributor tomorrow.

They gave me the 2012 catalog, which shows a slight price increase per pound of grain. (eg: $0.55/pound of Canadian 2 row vs. $0.49/pound in the 2011 catalog you have). However, I think that you will have to pay market price, which would be the 2012 prices. Not sure if it would make a difference, unless we went over the poundage threshold for the next lower price.

As a side note, I am looking to split up a bag of C-120 if anyone is interested. It is $0.75/pound in bulk.

OK guys. I am still working on a few friends. We need to have at least 26 bags to get the pallet pricing. If that is all we get, then I will go pick it up and eliminate the shipping. We will see. As we get closer to the 26 bags, I will need everyone to be specific with what they want. Thanks.

Also, I am interested in getting some Cascade hops. If we can get 11 pounds, then they will only be $6.93 per pound. Keep this in mind.

I would be happy to take 4 lbs of the cascades. I am already in on the other group buy for grain, but if you need a couple more sacks to complete the buy I can help out. Keep me posted. My email is [email protected]
Thanks,
Bill Scott

I'd love to get in on this. I would probably need at least 3, possibly up to 5 sacks. Can someone please send me the catalog?

Catching up on the other group buy thread, I learned that Briess was not available to us. However, on the cover of the new 2012 catalog, there is an announcement that Briess is "Now Available." Are there distribution rules that prevent us from purchasing Briess, or has there been a change in the last month?

Catching up on the other group buy thread, I learned that Briess was not available to us. However, on the cover of the new 2012 catalog, there is an announcement that Briess is "Now Available." Are there distribution rules that prevent us from purchasing Briess, or has there been a change in the last month?

I don't know. I will find out.

I'm in for a couple sacks. Would also like to split a couple of specialty grains if anyone else is up for:

C-20?
Rye

Any other splits?

Anyone have a link to the 2012 catalog or can PM me?

How many on the split of C120?

I will take up to a half sack of rye, although I am not thrilled with the CMC rye.

Thomas Fawcett has rye also, but it is $0.82/pound vs. $0.56/pound for CMC. So far you are the only one to mention splitting the C-120. I would take up to half a bag, and would like at least a quarter.

Thomas Fawcett has rye also, but it is $0.82/pound vs. $0.56/pound for CMC. So far you are the only one to mention splitting the C-120. I would take up to half a bag, and would like at least a quarter.

1/4 sack of C120 is what I would be hoping for.

Still no word on Briess or any products other than grains? Spices, DME, cleaners, & barrel products?

1/4 sack of C120 is what I would be hoping for.

Still no word on Briess or any products other than grains? Spices, DME, cleaners, & barrel products?

First response to the Briess question was a no for home brewers, but I asked if it was any different because we were getting pallet pricing. Haven't heard back yet. I may just call her Monday.

Almost forgot to say that I have a barrel's worth of staves that came from a barrel at Rock Bottom. It was a whiskey barrel that the brewmaster at RB used for a stout. Anyone that gets grain is welcome to take a few. I cut one up and re-charred it and soaked the cubes in whiskey. I have used them a few times, and they seem to be good.

Almost forgot to say that I have a barrel's worth of staves that came from a barrel at Rock Bottom. It was a whiskey barrel that the brewmaster at RB used for a stout. Anyone that gets grain is welcome to take a few. I cut one up and re-charred it and soaked the cubes in whiskey. I have used them a few times, and they seem to be good.

Definitely interested... And I am up to almost 5 sacks now that I started taking inventory.

How many sacks do youhave accounted for so far. I am guessing we need to start tracking it a bit more formally if you aren't already...

Yes, I need to take stock of what I know so far. I am actually looking to keep it closer to half a pallet because then I can pick it and save us all a few dollars per bag. I think that we are close to that. I will try to post tomorrow what I know, so if for those that have expressed interest, but have not given an idea of what they want, please post it. Thanks.

OK, here is what I gather for now.

Brewenstein - 3 bags 2-row
1 bag MO
1/2 bag C-120
4 pounds Cascade hops

ryanof - 2 bags 2-row
2 bags - belgian pilsner
maybe some Saaz and Sterling hops

Thatguyryan - 5 sacks of ?

Bilboa51 - 4 pounds Cascade hops

Randar - 5 bags ?
1/4 bag C-120
possible split of C-20 and rye

Schnibbz - possible split of C-10, C-20, and C-40

pomalley44 - 1 sack 2-row
2 sacks MO

This is about 22 sacks counting the C-120 split, but not counting any of the other splits. That should account for a couple more bags. I have a few more friends not on this board that should account for a few more bags. I will double check, but I think that all we need is 26 sacks to get the pallet pricing. If this is the case, I will go and pick it up and save us all the $2-3/bag shipping costs.

I will also check again on the Briess and adjuncts.

Please post back and be as specific as possible about what you want.

Thanks,

Brewenstein

Here's my official order:

2 sacks 2-row (prefer Briess if it ends up that we are able to purchase it)
1 sack flaked corn (again, prefer Briess)
2 pounds Cascade

I stocked up on Crystal malts this week, so no split anymore.

Also, would love to split some Star San.

all not milled grain

2 sacks 2-row (prefer Briess)
2 sacks Pilsen (also Briess)
1 25 lbs bag flaked rice (also Briess)
2 lbs saaz hops if available

Ryan

1234 said:
I believe the LME and gluten free stuff is available as well.

Maybe. It seems to vary from warehouse to warehouse. Also, the hops pricing is different than the commercial catalog. They have "home brewers" catalog that has pricing and availability on a various items that someone should ask for. I'd be interested to see the grain pricing on less than a pallet full. Also, pricing went up about 10% November 1.

Sent from my Android phone using Home Brew Talk

Here is my current order:

Whole sacks:
Fawcett Peat Malt
Fawcett Optic
Fawcett Maris Otter
Briess Golden Light DME - (will split with anyone interested, else sign me up for a whole sack)

Looking to split any of the following if there are willing parties:
Best Malz Acidulated malt (split up to 4 ways)
Best Malz Caramel Malt 1 (30-40 SRM - split up to 4 ways)
Best Malz Vienna (split 2 or 3 ways)
Fawcett Brown Malt (Split 3 or 4 ways)
Split on the C-120 if that is still on.
Nobody in for a split of the liquid belgian candi sugar that comes in 1# packages (12 packages per order)????
How about a split on the bottle caps? 10k oxygen barrier caps for $185? They are 4 or 5 bucks for a gross at the LHBS.

Hops:

1# Mt Hood
1# Tettnanger

Spices:
1# paradise seeds. Would be open to a split if anyone else is interested, else I'll take a whole pound. At that price it's a steal.

I talked to my contact at Mid Country Malt today. No Briess products are available to us except for dried malt extract. Please edit your posts to indicate what maltster you would like in these cases. All other adjuncts, etc are available. The hop pricing per pound is more expensive for single pounds. For example Tett is about $14.50 and Mt. Hood is about $12.00. The prices we see in the catalog are for 11 or 44 pound increments. Let me know if this changes anyone's mind. I am still up for the 11 pounds of Cascade. I think we have almost that now.

I also found out that we get this price break for as little as 14 sacks :mug:. I know that we have more than that now, so I would like to wrap this up ASAP because I am hoping to pick up some time next week. So anyone who wants, needs to let me know.

If you need more hops to get the discount I will take them. Also I will take 1 sack of Canadian 2row and Thomas faucett mariss otter.

thanks,
Bill Scott

2 sacks Fawcett Maris Otter
1 sack Canadian 2row

Also willing to take up to a pound of Cascade hops to help fill out the 11lb order. I'm good with any number between 0-16 oz.

What's going on with this? Are we moving forward?

YES!

Here is what I have - please check for accuracy:

ryanof - 2 sacks CMC 2-row
2 sacks CMC superior pilsen

Bilboa51 - 1 sack CMC 2 row
1 sack TF maris otter
4 pounds cascade hops

Randar - 1 sack TF peat malt
1 sack TF optic malt
1 sack TF maris otter
1 bag Briess Golden Light DME (sorry, no split)
1 pound Mt. Hood hops
1 pound Tettnanger hops
1 pound paradise seeds
1/4 sack C-120

Schnibbz - 2 sacks CMC 2 row
1 sack flaked corn
2 pounds cascade hops

pomalley44 - 1 sack CMC 2 row
2 sacks TF marris otter

I am splitting 1/2 sack of C-120. That leaves 1/4 sack left. I will take it if no one else needs it. Also, I am splitting 4 pounds of cascade. That makes 10 pounds ordered, so there is a pound left if anyone wants it otherwise I will keep it.

Haven't heard from ThatGuyRyan yet, but if I don't hear in a day or two, I will place the order. Hopefully I can get this confirmed so that I can get a pick up on Friday.

Back