Slow Fermentaion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I brewed a Sam Adams Clone

Sam Adams Clone(All Grain)

Ingredients

10 lbs. American 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. Crystal 60L
1.5 oz. Spaalt 60 min.
.5 oz. East Kent for 30 min.
.5 oz. East Kent for 10 min.
1 oz. Fuggles at flameout
1.5 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast WLP008

Mashed this at one hour at about 155-158 degrees I had a gravity of 1.052

I used a starter that was made with 32oz of water and 2/3 cup of dme. The starter took of great I aerated the heck our of my wort and pitched the starter while it was active. It took about 4 hours before I saw airlock activity. This was sunday. Now it's tuesday I did a hydro reading and it didn't drop very much about 1.042 or so. I'm gonna leave it in the primary for 2 weeks but the airlock activity has never been 'vigorous' It releases bubbles in bursts every 7-10 seconds or so but not a constant pop pop pop like I usually see. There are no leaks anywhere that I can tell Any speculations on why this is happening?

How long was it from the time you pitched the yeast into the starter until you pitched the starter into your wort? Did you aerate your starter?

I ask these questions to determine if you underpitched in spite of doing a proper sized starter.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Latest posts

Back