What is Optic Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Just curious. I have heard little about it. Is it a base malt? A local brewpub can sell me sacks of grain (W00t!) and Optic is one of them.

It's a pale base malt, 2 row I think. Not sure if it's produced in the US but it is in the UK
Good diastic power used amongst others by Marston's in there IPA.

Check out the wiki link above for info on malts.

Fawcett Optic, yea orfy....from your side of the pond

great malt, gives a great malt aroma to your beer

So it is a base malt then, but how close to say Pale Ale malt? The Wiki is limited. :cross:

zoebisch01 said:
So it is a base malt then, but how close to say Pale Ale malt? The Wiki is limited. :cross:

It is a base malt. It is a Pale malt so can be used for Pale Ale. Pale Ale can use various Pale malts.
As I sated above it is used by at least one commercial brewer for it's IPA.

If the Wiki is limited then add to it. But all that info is there.

zoebisch01 said:
Lol, I would but know little about the Malt...it wasn't a cut at the Wiki. :mug:

Well do a little research and share it. I'm learning as I go.

The wiki is very, very new and need as many people to add to it and populate as possible to make it a valuable resource for us all. It'll take a long time but it should idealy suite the needs of this forum and future users.

orfy said:
Well do a little research and share it. I'm learning as I go.

The wiki is very, very new and need as many people to add to it and populate as possible to make it a valuable resource for us all. It'll take a long time but it should idealy suite the needs of this forum and future users.

I agree with what you are saying Orfy, it is true but it seems that the Wiki is good as a general reference. I have contributed to the Wiki and think it is a good idea, but believe it will always be limited to giving the facts, but what about when someone is looking for another person's opinion (like in this thread ;) )? I just don't want to buy 50 lb of the stuff (my LHBS doesn't carry it so small amounts are out), but if it is similar to Pale Ale malt (Like Briess 2 Row Pale the 3 lov one, not the base Pale) I might buy a bag.

One should support the other. A knowledge base is always a good thing.

I'd say this forum opened my eyes to AG brewing, I used knowledge bases to fill in the majority of the gaps and continue to learn and form opinions based on the knowledge. ideas, opinions, experiments and debates on this forum and again back it up with reading articles on the net.

This forum would be stale if questions aren't asked and answered sometimes repeatedly.

Things like the Wiki and the recipe database just give it a more structured and solid foundation.

:mug:

To tell you the truth the info in the Wiki about the optic malt is only there because you asked the question. I went and topped up my knowledge before answering and also added the info I found to the wiki. It is now there for good and will help any one else find the info.

In the Northern Brewer catalog that came with my last order it say Fawcett Optic Pale malt "Optic is a barley variety widely grown in the UK. We have been impressed with its highly aromatic qualities".

zoebisch01,

So, they're willing to sell a sack to you - assuming we're talking about the same place. I only go there every couple of months. These days I mostly drink my own. I've got another friend here in town who might also be interested if you wanted to get a couple of different kinds and split them up. On my grocery list is some more pale and some pilsner malt.

PM me if you're interested.

Philip

"Optic malt" is malted barley made from a UK spring barley called "Optic". It can be malted and processed to be any kind of malt (base, or specialty) but what I see for sale via the homebrew stores is a base malt with a color about a 2 L. This would make it a pale ale malt.

Dr Malt

Back