Bourbon County Stout clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obviously not all malts are created equal. What brand of malt would you use for each type listed?

For example, British 2-row can be any number of British two-row pale malts. There's Crisp, Thomas Fawcett, Bairds and others. Not all of them taste the same because of region or kilning style among other factors. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I believe it does. Spend this much cash, effort and conditioning time on a beer like this and I'd like to make sure I make the correct choice in grains.

Being a newb at grain and malt choices I'll defer to the forum experts for guidance.

Maybe the choice in two-row is less significant than the choice in specialty grains. I know there's an even bigger difference in roasted barley malts, and chocolate malts.

The lovibond is stated in the recipe, but which brand of malts would you use for this recipe?

They posted a video of the making of BCBS on their YouTube page. The camera stopped on the recipe sheet for a minute. There is 3100 2 row, 1000 borlander munich, 200 chocolate/c-60/roast barley, and 116 black malt. The Brewer also mentioned a 4 hour boil and a preboil of 1.129 and there is 60ibu of hops. Using this I'd say recipie is

24 lbs 2-row
7.5 Munich
1.75 chocolate
1.75 c-60
1.75 roasted barley
1 black patent (website mentions debittered black)

Hops are Willamette but you might need around 8 oz to get that 60 IBU.

All the malts used were briess BTW

They posted a video of the making of BCBS on their YouTube page. The camera stopped on the recipe sheet for a minute. There is 3100 2 row, 1000 borlander munich, 200 chocolate/c-60/roast barley, and 116 black malt. The Brewer also mentioned a 4 hour boil and a preboil of 1.129 and there is 60ibu of hops. Using this I'd say recipie is

24 lbs 2-row
7.5 Munich
1.75 chocolate
1.75 c-60
1.75 roasted barley
1 black patent (website mentions debittered black)

Hops are Willamette but you might need around 8 oz to get that 60 IBU.

All the malts used were briess BTW

Great information. Any mention of Lovibond or color? Especially for the Roasted Barley, Chocolate and Black Patent?

There are at least a couple varieties of each here: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_TypicalAnalysis.pdf

Great information. Any mention of Lovibond or color? Especially for the Roasted Barley, Chocolate and Black Patent?

There are at least a couple varieties of each here: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_TypicalAnalysis.pdf

The sheet said 180 SRM. I'd say the black printz is the black malt they are using (dibittered is called out on their webpage). Borlander Munich is on the brew sheet so Munich 10L, c-60 is c-60, roasted barley is roasted barley...the chocolate malt might be the darker stuff

the Brewer also talked about them doing a double mash for one batch. The #s on the brew sheet are pounds I believe. They show the grain hopper reading about 4000+ lbs and numbers follow the 1 sack rule. So 20 sacks of borlander Munich, 4 sacks of c-60/roasted barley/chocolate, and 2 sacks of black printz per mash. Then 3100 lbs from the silo.

It's irrelevant how many barrels they are making. We know the percentages of grain and the OG 30 Plato/1.129 SG

the Brewer also talked about them doing a double mash for one batch. The #s on the brew sheet are pounds I believe. They show the grain hopper reading about 4000+ lbs and numbers follow the 1 sack rule. So 20 sacks of borlander Munich, 4 sacks of c-60/roasted barley/chocolate, and 2 sacks of black printz per mash. Then 3100 lbs from the silo.

It's irrelevant how many barrels they are making. We know the percentages of grain and the OG 30 Plato/1.129 SG

Double mash? Just the first runnings? Kinda like they do for ten fidy?

Bourbon_County_Brand_Stout.JPG

It states the ABV as 11.75. Bottle states 13. Where would the 1.25 difference come from? The Bourbon Barrels do not add alcohol and I'm unsure they add any actual bourbon. I doubt it.

Just FYI, it's illegal to add liquor to beer. There is some sort of grace for a small amount of residual in the barrel.

Does a mash temp of 152F sound about right?

Sorry, I meant it would be illegal for GI to add bourbon. We can do wtf we want! We're home brewers!!

They do still have to account for the extra ABV that the spirit provides. Legally anyway - I know plenty who fudge that detail.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic....

Are you guys using S-05 for this (which is one of the suggestions in the BYO article)? Any trouble getting the yeast to work all the way up to 13-15% abv? I saw somebody say theirs crapped out at 1.060...

Are you guys using S-05 for this (which is one of the suggestions in the BYO article)? Any trouble getting the yeast to work all the way up to 13-15% abv? I saw somebody say theirs crapped out at 1.060...

A big pitch and slightly elevated temps should do it. I'm going to do it with the cake from a 1.040 Belgian single (3787), and pitch 099 if I have attenuation probs. fwiw.

A big pitch and slightly elevated temps should do it. I'm going to do it with the cake from a 1.040 Belgian single (3787), and pitch 099 if I have attenuation probs. fwiw.

My plan is 8 gallons at 1.150 (if low efficiency brings it in a little less I'm not going to sweat it) and pitch 4 packs of S-05, oxygenate and see what happens. If it looks like it's starting to stall, I'll add 099 or champagne yeast.

I'll check my gravity tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. I did a huge starter 2L then stepped to 3L of 001. Figured fresh would be best

Bourbon_County_Brand_Stout.JPG

It states the ABV as 11.75. Bottle states 13. Where would the 1.25 difference come from? The Bourbon Barrels do not add alcohol and I'm unsure they add any actual bourbon. I doubt it.

Anyone know (or have educated guesses of) the liquid volumes for this, trying to build it up in beersmith but as they use only the first runnings for this at GI the OG isn't useful as BS calculates it from the entire volume. Trying to nail down the grain bill scale to get the correct grav from first runnings alone.

Anyone know (or have educated guesses of) the liquid volumes for this, trying to build it up in beersmith but as they use only the first runnings for this at GI the OG isn't useful as BS calculates it from the entire volume. Trying to nail down the grain bill scale to get the correct grav from first runnings alone.

Can't you choose a mash schedule with no sparge in beer smith?

68. Still in there. Just letting everything mellow out. Probably been 3 weeks now or so.

Thanks. Did you end up using all Briess grains?

I plan to brew this beer soon, but my mash tun volume is only 7.5 gallons. Big enough to fit the specialty grains but not nearly large enough to even contain a quarter of the base malt (plus the specialty malts). I want to do this as a almost full all-grain recipe with maybe a few pounds of DME to attain proper gravity. So, I'm waiting on black-Friday to unload on a 15 gallon mash tun. 15 gallons should almost be I really want a 15 gallon circular igloo cooler but I'm not sure they exist.

Anyhow... thanks for the information.

No, some were Weyerman I think. I really don't think I have a discerning enough of a palate to be able to tell the difference. As long as I'm close that's good enough for me.

As long as it tastes ok post fermentation I'm gonna fine it and move to a keg for a year.

Mine is about finishing up..at 1.039 started at 1.13 ...taste is in the ball park of bcbs...time to add the chips and bourbon

I used 3787 on a beer this size and it got down to 1.020, which was definitely too low. My recipe (not bcbs) had some table sugar in there, but either way, 3787 is a beast. You might want to consider an ale yeast, but ymmv.

So the recipe doesn't mention wheat, but my 2014 bottle states it contains wheat... Unless this was meant to inform those that need to know about the gluten in barley?

View attachment 319130

I was going to make the same point regarding a 2015 bottle. Funny that their website does not mention it as an ingredient though.
I was speculating on the fact that wheat/dark wheat could maybe be responsible for the great mouthfeel in this stout when i noticed that on the bottle.

the thing about gluten makes sense, but why falsely claim an ingredient? that'd be CYA to the extreme. just say "contains gluten" instead, it gets right to the chase. seems odd, no?

i still believe they used wheat...;)

Did you find out what the volume is on this? I feel like I'm missing something on the first runnings SG but I'm also trying to construct the recipe in BS.

Latest posts

Back