any advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmm beer

Reaction score
well I just purchased my first beer kits from Austin home brew. I got......
1 AHS American premium lager
2 AHS American wheat ale
3 Guinness extra stout
4 AHS black ale
Is there any advice on any of these kits or in general brewing . I have books coming, kegs coming ,and now brew kits coming, I am ready for my first go at home brewing, but any advice will be greatly apreciated.
Thanks Don

Primary-apple cider
secondary- nothing
kegs-coming from ebay
next to batch ? pick one from above:ban:

ambitious!

Unless you have the ability to lager, then I would start with the ales or stout.

How's the cider coming?

Have everything completely cleaned and sanitized.

Give yourself a good deal of time, and be patient.

Have fun!

In the words of Papazian himself. "relax, don't worry and have a homebrew."

Truble said:
ambitious!

Unless you have the ability to lager, then I would start with the ales or stout.

How's the cider coming?
Are lagers harder to brew ? The cider smells awesome

sause said:
Sanitize every thing after the boil and speaking of boils watch for a boil over.

The Extra Stout, mmmmm... extra stout
I think you are right mmmm extra stout, I like stout. So I hope this one should not pose to much of a problem for me?
Thanks Don

mmm beer said:
Are lagers harder to brew ? The cider smells awesome

Most lager yeasts ferment at around 50 degrees, so unless you have a dedicated fridge with a temp controller (or a fridge that can be set that high), it's pretty tough to lager. After fermenting they usually need to be cold aged (lagered) at near freezing temperatures for 1-2 months.

if they tell you to add sugar go get malt extract and use that, you'll get much better beer that way

clean clean clean and when you think it's clean enuff clean it one more time. Invest in some StarSan or Idopher for sanitation. Bleach will work (and I used to use it myself) but those 2 products have so many more advantages it's worth the cost.

debtman7 said:
Most lager yeasts ferment at around 50 degrees, so unless you have a dedicated fridge with a temp controller (or a fridge that can be set that high), it's pretty tough to lager. After fermenting they usually need to be cold aged (lagered) at near freezing temperatures for 1-2 months.
Im Canadian the weather is starting ti cool all I have to do is warm my garage to 50f and the thermomostat on my heater should do fine .... Well I hope

Back