"Julie and Julia" with Brewing Classic Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody has actually brewed every recipe in Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles.

A batch a week until every recipe has been brewed. What do you think?

Edit: I would need a lot of help with drinking all that beer.

Theres a p[age at brew365.com that has a chart for what it would take to brew all the german styles from the book

German Style Ingredients - Brew All the BJCP German Styles

* Total Beers: 17 - 10 Lagers and 7 Ale/Hybrid styles. You're going to need temperature control and lagering capability to do this for sure.
* Total Lbs. Grain: 235.6 lbs. for 17 ~5 gallon batches.
* Base Grains (Pils, Munich, Wheat, Vienna, Rye) : 205.4 lbs. 117lbs. Pilsner (2 sacks plus a bit more), 72.3 lbs Munich (1 sack + half of another.) The rest would be partial sacks.
* Adjunct Grains: 13 Types totaling 24.1 lbs.
* Hops:25.5oz total (1.6#) - Almost half is Hallertau.
* Yeast:9 Different Recommended Yeasts

A batch a week would put you at 260G in a year assuming 5G batches. Just saying if you're worried about the law. I would not sweat it but....

Edit: I would need a lot of help with drinking all that beer.

You don't HAVE to brew 5 gallon batches.

I've thought about trying to brew every style, but I'd probably do most of them in 2 gallon or so batches. 1 gallon will get you between 8 and 10 bottles if you're careful when transferring, and you use foam control.

I believe there are 80 recipes.

5 gallons a week for more than 18 months. Wow.

Can we assume that Jamil (and/or John Palmer) actually has brewed them all? (BTW this is not a criticism of the book, which is excellent and a must-have, IMO)

I think the best way to do this would be as a group of brewers. If there are 5 of you, all with temp controlled storage and fermentation, this could work pretty well. You would have to plan ahead to match up conditioning times to ensure a pipeline of beer.

I think that this is a great idea and wished I had four homebrewing friends nearby to do this with. It would be fantastic to try all of these beer styles and you'd get to brew every week.

Eric

5 gallons a week for more than 18 months. Wow.

Can we assume that Jamil (and/or John Palmer) actually has brewed them all? (BTW this is not a criticism of the book, which is excellent and a must-have, IMO)

Jamil has brewed, entered and won medals with 80 of the 84 recipes in the book (or something like that). The other 4 are guest recipes. The dude's a prolific brewer.

One time I was listenign to The Jamil Show and he said that to really get your brewing down to a T, you need to brew 5-6 times a week. I think he might have meant 5-6 times a month, but I'm not sure. Either way, that's a tough pace for 99% of people to maintain.

A few members here are taking a Jamil-like approach, and brewing each bjcp style. I really admire, and somewhat envy, that energy. I'm just trying to make a few styles (APA, IPA, every kind of bitter and scottish, porter and stout) really well. I've made several of Jamil's recipes from the book, and also the Obsidian Stout Clone (delicious so far)- the Robust Porter, Scottish 70, Special Bitter, and Mild, and constantly refer to the book for a good starting point for recipes. The amount of work he put into developing those recipes is really impressive, and I think brewing them all would be a great project. It would just take me about 5 years, and I don't particularly want to have a Dunkelweizen or a Lambic in 5-gallon quantities. Additionally, he seems by all accounts, including a couple of brief email exchanges I've had with him, to be a good guy.

Back