Extra long mash out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaminpi3

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently brewing a Rye Pale Ale and after I mashed for an hour I mashed out to 168 and PLANNED on letting it sit for 10 minutes when I got a urgent call that lasted almost an hour. So it's been sitting in my 10 gal cooler mlt for an hour at 168. Is this a problem? Do I need to worry about pH or anything like that?

Here's my grain bill:
8.5# Pale
1.25# Rye
1.25# Munich
.5# Victory
.25# Honey

I mashed at 154f for 60 min.

Thanks!

I usually mash out at 180 and like to get the last of the wort out of the grain in under ten minutes before i end up with astringent tastes in the final product.

60 minutes at 168, I dunno. Taste it. If it is horribly bitter just brew your first runnings. If it tastes OK I would probably go ahead and brew with it.

It tastes fine. It actually gave me better efficiency, which is annoying because now my OG will be too high. Oh well, I need to find an assistant.

odds are that it kept converting in the kettle since alpha amylase doesnt denature until 176ish....you will most likely end up with a higher alcohol, dryer beer since most of the longer chain sugars will have been broken down in the kettle

wtf happened above?

I don't know that it's going to be ultra fermentable because b-amylase is definitely toast at 170 within that timeframe. Alpha will keep working if there is any starch left to convert. I think it's pretty common for brewers to cut their mash a little too short anyway.

Back