late extract addition with 2 types of extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
When doing a late addition, should i be mixing both extracts together so that I put half of each in at the beginning and half of each at the end? Or does it matter if I put all of one in at the beginning and one in at the end.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter. The impact on bittering only depends on the gravity and timing, not the type of extract.

What kinds of extract are you talking about? I have not felt a need to use late add for DME, I add all of that at the beginning of the boil.

If it's all LME batch I add 1/2 at the beginning and 1/2 at 45 min. If it's a mix of the two, DME at the beginning, LME at 45 min.

I wouldn't be too technical about the late addition of the "type" of extract. If using both LME and DME, put the LME in late if possible it has a greater chance of scorching and caramelizing than the DME, but say if you have a pound of wheat and 3-4 pounds of amber, adding them in that proportion late won't make any difference.

I have used as little as 1lb DME in a 3 gallon boil to increase my hops utilization, and added as much as 6lbs in the last 15 minutes with great results.

FWIW, I exclusively use DME.

What about trying to preserve color?

If I have amber LME and light LME, would choosing one of them for a late addition change the color much?

Thanks

Back