Banjo burners rule!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Holy crap, i've read the hype, and it's all true. This thing is a beast, just ask my eyebrows and eyelashes. It took 45F tap water to 170f in 14 minutes. And was up to a raging boil in 21minutes(6gallons of water). This was no where near wide open either.

The best thing though was the noise or lack of, it's whisper quiet. I could hear the regulator over the flame. If you do 10 gallon batches do yourself a favor and get one of these, you will not regret it.

Anyone need a slightly used noisy sp-10??

What type of kettle do you have?
How does it compare to the multi jet kind? (if you have the comparison)

:)

I have 15&20 gallon aluminum pots. There is no comparison, the jet burner(if that's what your referring to) is obnoxiously loud and not as powerful.

Keep your SQ10 for heating up the sparge water and pulling decoctions. :mug:

I'm thinking of adding a second burner to my rig.

can you dial it back to just keep something warm? Or should I consider that for my boil kettle and keep my wussy one for the hlt sine it can be throttled back to a low enough output that it very very slowly raises a full hlt.

I'm actually planning on electrifying as well, so maybe two bigass burners for hlt and bk to nuke it up to the temp I want (or a boil) super freaking fast, then elements maintaining it will give me the right mix of speed and efficiency.

How long to get a 10g batch up to a boil do you think?

can you dial it back to just keep something warm? Or should I consider that for my boil kettle and keep my wussy one for the hlt sine it can be throttled back to a low enough output that it very very slowly raises a full hlt.

I'm actually planning on electrifying as well, so maybe two bigass burners for hlt and bk to nuke it up to the temp I want (or a boil) super freaking fast, then elements maintaining it will give me the right mix of speed and efficiency.

How long to get a 10g batch up to a boil do you think?

Even dialed way back this thing throws serious heat, I have yet to brew with it though. From sparge temps I can't see it taking any longer than 10 to 15 minutes to get to a boil. Like I said, it throws serious heat. I started it on low and from 4 feet above looked over the top of the burner and singed my eyelids.

Keep your SQ10 for heating up the sparge water and pulling decoctions. :mug:

I'm thinking of adding a second burner to my rig.

Got that covered. No more noisy brewing for me!

DSCN1879.jpg

I just had to get a haircut recently because I burned off the front of my hair.

twice.

yes, I am stupid. And stupider to do the same thing again later. :)

so, if you do have a high pressure regulator, turn it all the way to "-". Turn the tank all the way on. Now slowly turn the regulator towards "+" with the lighter over the burner. When it catches, you can slowly turn the regulator towards the "+" and build up the flame. Don't go too fast or your tank's safety will kick in and stop the flow I think.

That's what I tried.
Mine has a needle valve. I have it "off" then I open the tank full and slowly open the needle holding the BBQ lighter over the burner. When it catches I let go a bit then slowly crank it up while adjusting the air flow to keep it blue. I get it as high as I can get it before cutout. It took 20min to bring my runnings ( it started at 170F) to a moderate boil in a skinny 13.5gal Spaten keggle.
Maybe the propane tank (an exchanger) is bad?

It sounds like the line is partially plugged or it may have shipped with the wrong regulator. It needs at least a 20psi reg. I would switch the lines with your other burner, it's a 20 psi.

1. Many of these burners are poorly cast and have leftover bits of metal inside them reducing flow and efficiency. Someone I know who sells burners as part of his product usually has to tweak them to get the best efficiency and is often replacing the burners.

Same thing with the regulators as a slight variation in the regulator or moisture inside can hurt the efficiency.

I also agree that the exchange tanks are suspect, best to have your own tanks as some people really tweak the valves to the point of no return.

2. Do you have any idea if using a Banjo saves gas in the long run because of the faster boil time over lower BTU burners or is it a wash? Just curious on this.

Back