Size difference between CO2 tank and Nitro tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCourtland

Reaction score
I bought a 20 lb Nitro/CO2 tank today. It looks super tiny compared to my 20 lb CO2 tank. The size of my CO2 tank is 24” x 27” and my Nitro/CO2 is 16” x 17”. I just want to make sure they gave me the right size. Can any one tell me if this is right.
Thanks,
Jeremy

A 20-lb CO2 cylinder is about 8" in diameter and 27-1/2" in height. I think you measured the circumference, which would be ~ 25" if you multiply the diameter x pi. A CO2 cylinder is rated in pounds because when filled, the gas is primarily in a liquid state.

A 22 cubic ft. aluminum nitrogen cylinder is 5.5" in diameter and 18.5" Height. This would give you a ~ 17" circumference. This is roughly equivalent to a 10-lb CO2 cylinder in volume.

Sounds like you bought a 20-something cubic ft. nitrogen cylinder. Is yours steel or aluminum?

It really gets confusing when you are mixing CO2 cylinders rated in pounds and specialty gas cylinders rated in cubic feet.

I just went through this with my local welding supply company. They only do exchanges for beer gas, so I bought a 40 cubic foot steel cylinder from them and swap them out. No one in my area fills beer gas while you wait, so purchasing a shiny new aluminum nitrogen cylinder would have been a waste for me.

Yeah I measured the circumference I should have said that. I got a steel tank from the welding store too, they also don't refill on the spot, so like you I was like whats the point. I asked for a 20lb tank I wonder if he just assumed I wanted a 22 cu ft tank. I just want to make sure I wasn't over charged. Thanks for you help.
-Jeremy

Back