Is my beer infected?? Pic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
5054942522_a8d8ddb6c9_z.jpg

:D

I think we're going to need some more info here.......

I'm guessing that, since you have more than 1000 posts, that you're taking the piss. Just a guess..

Brewsmith recipe:

Phunkin wheat
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 10/3/2010
Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Brewer: Two Pinons
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 6.94 gal Boil Time: 70 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 69.75 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 6.90 %
10.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 68.97 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
0.50 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.50 lb Dark Caramel/Crystal Malt -135 - 165 (150.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.4 IBU
1.00 oz Ruby [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Allspice (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Cloves (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 lb Pumpkin (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 lb Pumpkin (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 lb Pumpkin (Primary 5.0 days) Misc
22.00 gm Ginger Root (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
33.50 gm Cinnamon Stick (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 6.90 %
1 Pkgs 2pinons Juniper yeast (Ale) (2pinons #2p610juniper) [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.081 SG (1.030-1.110 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.021 SG (1.005-1.025 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Color: 29.2 SRM (5.0-50.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 43.6 IBU (0.0-70.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 13.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.80 % (2.50-12.00 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 7.20 %
Actual Calories: 349 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 13.50 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 62.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 5.14 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 16.88 qt of water at 172.0 F 158.0 F 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes
Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.0-3.0 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 3.8 oz Temperature at Bottling: 60.0 F
Primer Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

No ****, you're using your wild juniper yeast!! Awesome!!!!

Yea, it seems that's all I'm using for yeast now, a couple of firsts for this yeast with this batch, 1st wheat batch (More pumpkin than wheat though, hehe), and first batch with "top cropped" sample. Some day I'll get around to actual testing where I can quantify the results, i.e. "lighter beers".

Looks like olive oil baked Hungarian red peppers with some steamed carrots and tomato sauce....

Man, I REQUIRE SCRATCH AND SNIFF SAMPLE!

I just cannot imagine how it will taste in the end...

That's going to be a great batch of hog jowl porter!

My three year old daughter: eeww What is that?

Me: Its beer!

My three year old daughter: Are you going to make that?

Me: Do you want me to?

My three year old daughter: No!

Me: What if I do?

My three year old daughter: (with a look of horror on her face) Are you going to make me taste that?

Me: No, it's OK, I won't make you taste it.

My three year old daughter: Phew!
:mug:

5060164839_ed38fd4e70_z.jpg

Yup, it's still infected.

Actually, primary is winding down, this picture is after I punched it down. The yeast have been chewing on the pumpkin so the chunks are just sort of hollow shells that I've been smashing and breaking up.

Smells great, just like a pumpkin pie. It's going to be a grande brew.:mug:

I will say that this is awesome. My swmbo feels that the whole process of making beer is gross. So I have made the first pic of your brew her new desktop screen picture on her lap top. She is gonna love it!

Took a hydro sample of this today, it's already down to 1.012. It has a wonderful roasted pumpkin aroma, I tasted it and initially its got a pronounced spicy flavor melded nicely with the pumpkin, this is followed by the most excruciatingly bitter after taste I've ever witnessed, not like hops, more like chewing on a burnt lemon rind or maybe old rubber tire mixed with pine tar, it's bad, almost gag reflex bad.

So I scraped all the muck out of it and will let it settle a bit, then rack it for secondary, maybe that will help but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure this is from too much spices for too long, probably the cloves or ginger, didn't taste this after the boil though.

don't try this at home kids:cross:

Yes, yes it is infected, I racked it about a week and a half ago and found this today:
5129775953_94c3218dcd.jpg
5130379310_c129f28b0e.jpg

So, now I have to determine what to do with it, took a sample today, gravity is still at 1.012, it still tastes the same with the bitterness moving to the front more and more, smells great but is not drinkable as is, no sour flavor at all however. The infection either came from the pumpkin in the fermentor (I doubt it) or my cellar (I had this open for quite a few minutes straining the pumpkin from it while it was in the cellar, I've had wild infection from the cellar before).

I am contemplating:

1. Leave as is to see if it ever becomes drinkable (Would take years with wild yeast, maybe add some other wild yeasts/bacterium) I have no problem with this, I can always brew more pumpkin beer but who in the world has a pumpkin lambic wheat?

2. Brew more pumpkin wheat to mix with it (Use a lot less spices for a lot less time in the boil, then do either 1 or 3)

3. Rack from under the pellicle, treat it with potmeta and bottle it in hopes the bitterness subsides.

4. Eat pizza all day and drink more home brew while contemplating the meaning of life, maybe brew something else.

Leaning towards #4, any other suggestions?

#4. Altough a "propper" Brett pitch after killing whatever caused the first infection might also be interesting and more controlable flavour wise (if you can control such a thing).

Before dumping, I think you should consider selling as a prop for the next Alien movie:cross:

I was thinking the acrid bitterness could be from the roasted pumpkin skin but of course, what do I know I am just offering up my 2 cents!

Please update us on your final results!

Before dumping, . . . .

YOU SAID THE D WORD!!!, I suppose that could be #5 but I never considered it.

I was thinking the acrid bitterness could be from the roasted pumpkin skin . . . . . .

Interesting, do you have some experience with this? We tasted the pumpkin meat and it was fine but never thought to taste the skins at all.:confused:

Back