Question about a PID Controller (Hooking up an electric heating element in HLT)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanpace

Reaction score
I was recently given 2 of these PIDs..

Universal 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller
Universal 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller [SYL-2362] - $41.95 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

From what I read on the webpage, it seems that they can't drive the heater directly with the controller becasue 10 A is too small for heater.

Keep in mind though, I am only wanting to run a 2000 watt 120v element which each one.

My system is basically a brutus type clone, and I am currently using gas to run everything. However I really would like to have a 2000 watt element in the HLT and the BK to reach my target temps and boil times faster. (50 min until boil in the BK is just too damn long)

I was thinking that I could use these PID controllers to help me do this, but I am not sure they will work.

If anyone knows any tips I can do or other parts I can buy for me to achieve this with these PIDs, please help.
Thx.

They will work...

You will need an SSR for each one and a heat sink for each SSR. If you are using 120VAC 2000W elements, those are going to be high watt density elements, some are concerned about scorching the sugars in the wort with them... I have no experience with high watt density elements. Be careful and mindful of this possibility if the elements will be in DIRECT contact with the wort at any point.

Get a couple 40A SSRs and heat sinks and they will easily control your 2000W elements.

You do not have manual, or % output with those PIDs, but you do have PID and ON/OFF control which will suffice for maintaining temps, not so much if you want to use it to MAINTAIN a boil.

I have a wee bit of experience in E-Brewing...

Back