Could a restaurant /cafe sell it's own homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
Not that I want to do it, but if I had a cafe with a wine/beer license and a running kitchen, why not? Well, besides law of course. Not as a money making thing, really, but just an add on, like a perk.

To me, that would be a pretty baddass cafe with their house brew. You know, real bohemian like, with a bunch of old European dudes arguing about something random. :D

Nope.

You can't sell homebrew. What do you mean apart from the law?
I'm European and will argue if you want to get bohemian like.

;)

Yeah, you're right. It wouldn't be homebrew unless you lived in your cafe, which if I had one, I probably would end up on a cot in the back. I actually worked in a cafe where the alcoholic owner would sleep in the office when his wife kicked him out. It was charming but that's another story.

I'll ask the question like this. Could a cafe that was licensed with a running kitchen sell brew they made using homebrew techniques? Or is homebrew defined by the technique, no matter where it occurs?

I'm sure the answer may change from region to region, but this is California, so I'm assuming not without some crazy alcoholic production license that would be cost prohibitive. I mean, at that point you might as well become a brewpub with microbrew production techniques.

You'd need all of the permits and to comply with all of the requirements for operating as a brewpub. Can't really get around that.

You'll need to get TTB approval for the brewery portion of the premises. You may also have to check into the zoning laws for your location.

I'm building out a brewpub as we speak and had to get the zoning changed to accomodate the brewery. This can take up to 6 months.

Back