question about apple wine from cider progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstelley

Reaction score
I'll make this short but this batch had been giving me problems from the git go.

6 gallon cider to wine is the goal.

The cider I purchased said no preservatives but I don't believe it. I have had so much trouble getting it to ferment. Started out wit EC-1118, and a hydrometer reading of .080 and it bubbled nicely for a couple days and quit.
I let it go a couple weeks and the hydrometer read .080. Uh Oh.

I made a super batch of yeast using water sugar and pure juice and when I had a gallon bubbling nicely I added it.

Bubbled awesome for 2 or 3 days and quit. uh oh.

I racked it to 5 gallons leaving a bunch of sludge behind. I built it back to 6 gallons using super yeast (like above) and white wine.

The I did it again (getting desperate) but this time I added a total of 4 packets of yeast (2 ec-1118 and 2 ec 1116). half in a sugar water concoction again and half just poured in.

Different result. Now for the last 2 weeks it would bubble in the airlock about every 6-8 seconds. now its down to 1 every 15-20 seconds.

Question, what might I do next? what should I look for? Any more yeast and bread will form!

Oh yeah, the original Hydrometer was 1.080 now its down to 1.050. about 4% alcohol for 8 yeasts...

I just say I have never had that happen. I used only 1 packet of liquid yeast in my 5.5 gallon batch of Cider, and it took it from 1.079 to 1.000.

I have used dry yeast and that has brought my cider down to 1.000 easily.

What brand of juice are using? Maybe take a picture of it and post it.

In my notes I didn't write down the name of the cider. Should have. I highly suspect that the producers added sorbate or something in the process and it wasn't on the label. Next year if I do apples again, I'll go strait to the presses. I live in an area with a zillion apple trees around. Lots of cider/juice/apples locally grown.

Water reads 1.00
I have several batches going in different stages. Mostly red wines. This is my first attempt using fresh cider.
Its not the hydrometer.

Back