highly attenuative yeast for bottling belgian golden strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
Hello everyone..What is a good strain of yeast to use for bottling a BGSA that has a neutral flavor that will not intrude on the primary fermentation yeast strain?..also a yeast that attenuates very highly? I heard people use wine yeast,champange yeast,nottingham etc...input would be awesome
Cheers

Champagne yeast works well, Lalvin CY1118, also known as Prisse de Mousse

Im sure you have had duvel..You notice that duvel has a "champange" character? would this yeast lalvin cy1118 help produce this champange character?

Champagne yeasts can leave a Belgian style ale too dry..much better to use a real ale yeast imo..i prefer my original strain of mixed yeast i cultured from a chimmay blue and duvel a year ago...i use this in all my strong ales..its has a good attenuation and alcohol tolerance too..

Champagne yeasts can leave a Belgian style ale too dry..much better to use a real ale yeast imo..i prefer my original strain of mixed yeast i cultured from a chimmay blue and duvel a year ago...i use this in all my strong ales..its has a good attenuation and alcohol tolerance too..

Do you think that will help to get that champange character using duvel dregs?

Do you think that will help to get that champange character using duvel dregs?

The champagne character is very overrated when brewing beer!....the Duvel yeast will be far better suited to providing a fruity fresh flowery nose..or even try White Labs WLP570 or Wyeast 1388 for a much better finish than champagne yeast...In the end i always feel its best to stick with proper ales yeasts..

What primary fermentation yeast strain have you used or will use?

The champagne character is very overrated when brewing beer!....the Duvel yeast will be far better suited to providing a fruity fresh flowery nose..or even try White Labs WLP570 or Wyeast 1388 for a much better finish than champagne yeast...In the end i always feel its best to stick with proper ales yeasts..

What primary fermentation yeast strain have you used or will use?

Overrated to who? That is the character i am looking for in my BGSA..I am using 1388 as my primary yeast but once primary is over im gonna need to cold crash at almost freezing temps thus gonna need to add yeast at bottling..and i do not want to add more 1388..I am gonna culture duvel dregs and use that at bottling..In this hobby nothing is over rated its about knowing what you want to achieve in a beer and being happy with a final product..cheers

I doubt you'll get much flavor out of any yeast you add at bottling. Champagne yeasts, contrary to popular belief, are not highly attenuative in beer. They're very good at fermenting simple sugars, but will not metabolize maltose. I'd just use Nottingham or US-05 for convenience. If you want something really attenuative, try 3711 French Saison, but watch out, because it might drop your FG significantly and give you bottle bombs.

The yeast you add at bottling isn't going to add much character. I would suggest a neutral ale yeast, us05 as suggested would be my go to.

But you're bottling. The beer isn't going to change character due to the yeast you use to bottle.

Im gonna cellar the beer..You can drop some points by aging big beers..I see what you are saying cause most of the attenuation is done during primary..but my plan is to make a 1069 which is not a big beer OG by any means but want to get it down to 1004 which will give me a Est ABV of 8.5%..i figure my FG after primary will hopefully be lower then 1.008..so i wanted to try adding a highly attenuating yeast to eat up all the priming sugar and during some extented storing hopefully and i say hopefully the yeast will continue eating residuals and bring me down to 1004..Duvel clone btw

Im gonna cellar the beer..You can drop some points by aging big beers..I see what you are saying cause most of the attenuation is done during primary..but my plan is to make a 1069 which is not a big beer OG by any means but want to get it down to 1004 which will give me a Est ABV of 8.5%..i figure my FG after primary will hopefully be 1.008..so i wanted to try adding a highly attenuating yeast to eat up all the priming sugar and during some extented storing hopefully and i say hopefully the yeast will continue eating residuals and bring me down to 1004..Duvel clone btw

Yes i know bottle bombs may happen but to combat that im gonna try and get the FG even lower before bottling and use champange or belgian cork bottles..may have fountains ..this is just part of the fun this hobby brings ..to experiment

Yes i know bottle bombs may happen but to combat that im gonna try and get the FG even lower before bottling and use champange or belgian cork bottles..may have fountains ..this is just part of the fun this hobby brings ..to experiment

Experiment away, but I think your basic premise is off. The beer should be at FG before you bottle. I mean, what do you have to gain by trying to drop the gravity in the bottle instead of in the fermenter?

Experiment away, but I think your basic premise is off. The beer should be at FG before you bottle. I mean, what do you have to gain by trying to drop the gravity in the bottle instead of in the fermenter?

That a valid point..i quess i gotta try and get it to 1004 before i bottle and use any cheap neutral ale yeast and still put in the duvel dregs for the sake of experiment..well thanks for chiming in..cheers

Hello everyone..What is a good strain of yeast to use for bottling a BGSA that has a neutral flavor that will not intrude on the primary fermentation yeast strain?..also a yeast that attenuates very highly? I heard people use wine yeast,champange yeast,nottingham etc...input would be awesome
Cheers

Use the classic bgsa strain Wyeast 1388/wlp570. Very poorly flocculent but highly attenuative. It went to 92% apparent attenuation in a duvel clone I made.

If your goal is to simply carbonate a beer, try S-33. That's a common commercial bottling strain. Danstar makes one called CBC too.

I think there is something ( don't ask what) that makes bottle conditioned beers different. They're a living thing. I'm not about to be able to prove it, but I think the bottling strain does make a difference in certain beers. Would Duvel be Duvel if they bottled with a neutral strain?

Back