Boosting alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrump

Reaction score
I am a novice to brewing beer and have found my home pints lack the kick of alcohol compared to the pints I get from my local.
What is the easiest way to boost the alcohol. Can I empty my wort after fermentation into another bucket and re-pitch a new batch of yeast, adding some sugar, or is that not the way.
I'm brewing head cracker at the moment hoping this will have a little more kick.
I've experimented by adding 2 tins of wort instead of the 1 but it ended up too strong in taste and I ended up dumping it down the drain.

Advice would be appreciated.

Beer is all about balance which you've already discovered. If you are buying kits then buy kits that are giving you what you want as they are already designed to be balanced. If you want to tinker with a lower alcohol kit then you need to add mor sugars in the form of LME/DME but then you also need to add hops to balance out the sweetness you've introduced.

Pitching more yeast does not raise the ABV:)

AHS has something called a BrewVint alcohol boost that is 55% maltose, 45% glucose that should add 1% ABV without altering flavor. I've used in two kits from them. Blue Moon knockoff tasted great. Fire Rock is the other but that's fermenting.

Back