Brew Rig / Automation - Taking the fun out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
So I've been planning out a Brutus 10 style brew rig now for some time.

I got to check out one up close and personal and watch his brew process.

This one was all automated out with a custom control panel, temp probes, software. It was amazing..but I have to say I kind of felt like the fun of brewing was kind of lost.

Kind of having second thoughts about building mine now since I'm making good beer and have fun doing it.

Anyone feel like automation takes some of the fun out of brewing?

I've never used one but I think it would. I don't want or need machine(s) to make my beer. I want to make my beer with my own 2 hands if that makes sense. Get dirty!!

I agree. Automation is awesome; they look cool; and there might more consistancy to the product, but I like to do all the work. Guerrilla brewing!

For me there are certain things I really enjoy doing manually in the brew process and certain things that are just a PITA. Do you really want to whirlpool your wort for 20 minutes with a spoon? Do you want to stand over your MLT thermo and manually switch it on and off to maintain mash temperature? I like a balance of being part of the process but not having to hover over every step. Some people like the recipe/science part of things, not so much the process so they would rather automate.

To each their own!

Honestly, I think the guys who build these automated setups have just as much fun designing, building and tinkering with them as they do brewing! The whole building process is just as interesting and rewarding as the brewing itself.

Honestly, I think the guys who build these automated setups have just as much fun designing, building and tinkering with them as they do brewing! The whole building process is just as interesting and rewarding as the brewing itself.

+1 - I'm a software developer and the old adage about the journey bring better than the destination applies here.

Back