Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this in December. I'm sure my pH was too low (I bought a meter after this batch), and the beer finished out at 1.025. It sat in primary for 3.5 weeks, and in bottles for 3 weeks. I threw a couple in the fridge for three days and drank them this past week.

The mouthful and head retention are fantastic. However, there is this strange taste in the finish that I can't identify. Not sure if it's yeasty, or soapy, or if it's just "green." I did use a different yeast: WLP 004, Irish Ale. I also warmed up the primary to 80 degrees for a few days two weeks after brewing when I was trying to solve the stuck fermentation.

I'm going to let the rest sit for another two weeks before trying it again. The finish and the aftertaste just make it undrinkable at this point. No idea what's up with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed this in December. I'm sure my pH was too low (I bought a meter after this batch), and the beer finished out at 1.025. It sat in primary for 3.5 weeks, and in bottles for 3 weeks. I threw a couple in the fridge for three days and drank them this past week.

The mouthful and head retention are fantastic. However, there is this strange taste in the finish that I can't identify. Not sure if it's yeasty, or soapy, or if it's just "green." I did use a different yeast: WLP 004, Irish Ale. I also warmed up the primary to 80 degrees for a few days two weeks after brewing when I was trying to solve the stuck fermentation.

I'm going to let the rest sit for another two weeks before trying it again. The finish and the aftertaste just make it undrinkable at this point. No idea what's up with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I had the same issue with fermentation with 1335, stopped at 1.024.

Beer tastes great still, tad sweet but not cloying.

I had the same problem, too. Mine stopped at 1.021, so I actually pitched some Notty I had harvested and it took off again. I ended at 1.010, with is now a little dry and has little body. Not sure if it stopped because I didn't use a yeast starter or if it got too cold (I've since put together a fermentation chamber and bought the stuff to make yeast starters). I'm also pretty sure the pH was off while mashing. All told, I want to make this again because everyone else loves it and I screwed it up at a few points along the road.

1st sample at 2 weeks bottled...

Finished high but mighty yummy and very quaffable at 4.5%

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391362487.108354.jpg

I am brewing this stout this weekend. Is there anything I need to take into consideration? Have there been any significant modifications?

I just finished my brew day. Phew!! A few things to note. First, my LHBS only had one pack of Williamette hops, so I also got a bag of Fuggles to compliment it. Second, they also dont carry Wyeast products, so I opted for the WLP002 (English Ale Yeast).

All in all, I seem to have hit all of my marks. My OG was 1.055 on a final batch size of 5.5gal.

My first pour from the keg and it looks amazing and taste great. It did end a bit high at 1.018 fg but it has a great body and head. This is a great brew. Thanks yooper! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391371402.567845.jpg

I just started my second batch of this one. It's the first beer that I've made a second time in my year of AG brewing. They didn't have the 1335 yeast, so I went with the London III (wyeast 1318). I hope it works as well.

Have you tried doing only one ounce for 60 and one for 30? Would the floral notes of the hops contrast to harshly with the coffee and chocolate flavours?

Have you tried doing only one ounce for 60 and one for 30? Would the floral notes of the hops contrast to harshly with the coffee and chocolate flavours?

I literally did this on accident the only time I've brewed this. It's nice; there's probably some hop character there that's not in the recipe as written, but it's not competing with the rest of the grain bill.

January 1st, 2014 - My first all grain ever and I decided to do this recipe. It went well, and it tastes awesome!

My mash temp was a bit high, so the ABV was only 3.3% but that just means I can drink a lot more of it in one sitting!

Cheers and thanks Yooper for posting this recipe!

I literally did this on accident the only time I've brewed this. It's nice; there's probably some hop character there that's not in the recipe as written, but it's not competing with the rest of the grain bill.

I went for it, as well. It was great last time, but I always like a little more hops flavour in my beer.

I brewed this on 4 January with 1.5 lbs of oats and no flaked barley, as the LHBS was out. Otherwise I followed the recipe.
OG 1.050 FG 1.016
After about 21 days in the primary, it was only down to 1.022, so I added a rehydrated packet of S-05 I had on hand. I kegged it on 31 Jan, and just poured my first and second pints from the keg, and they were delicious! Thanks Yooper!

I need help with some of the ingredients. I can request special orders which they accommodate when then can.

My LHBS has Muntons roasted barley, which they say is 600-800L. Would this work for the black barley (500L), reducing the amount to match the color contribution? If not, which brand should I ask for or is asking for 500L black barley good enough?

Similarly, my LHBS doesn't have the pale chocolate malt, so I can ask them to order the Fawcett malt, but this substitution chart says it's equivalent to Carafa I Special, which I'm pretty sure my LHBS has. Would this work?

Oh yeah, question about the IBUs too. Beersmith is telling me I'll get 41 IBUs and I matched the AA from the original recipe. Did everyone else get the same. I'm actually ok with them higher as I don't mind bitter stouts, but not sure if it would go okay with a medium gravity oatmeal stout.

I need help with some of the ingredients. I can request special orders which they accommodate when then can.

My LHBS has Muntons roasted barley, which they say is 600-800L. Would this work for the black barley (500L), reducing the amount to match the color contribution? If not, which brand should I ask for or is asking for 500L black barley good enough?

Similarly, my LHBS doesn't have the pale chocolate malt, so I can ask them to order the Fawcett malt, but this substitution chart says it's equivalent to Carafa I Special, which I'm pretty sure my LHBS has. Would this work?
So I was talking to the owner of my LHBS and he said I should use black patent for black barley. I'm going to assume you guys don't agree.

So I was talking to the owner of my LHBS and he said I should use black patent for black barley. I'm going to assume you guys don't agree.

Correct, that's been discussed several times here. Black patent is way more roasty, burnt flavor; black barley is smooth, mellow roast, like a nice espresso. It's worth it to order the black barley online, even if you get everything else at your LHBS.

Time for a followup post...

I brewed this 10/05/2013 with Denny's Favorite 50. Kegged on 11/19/2013 at about 1.020.

For the first month on tap, i liked this beer, but wasn't really crazy about it. After it's been in the keg for 6+ weeks, it's much better and is now on my mental list of beers to rebrew. There's probably still close to a gallon left in the keg, plus a bomber that i filled and primed with brown sugar. I'm tempted to let that bomber hang around for several months and check it out later.

Correct, that's been discussed several times here. Black patent is way more roasty, burnt flavor; black barley is smooth, mellow roast, like a nice espresso. It's worth it to order the black barley online, even if you get everything else at your LHBS.
What they said they have is, "black barley from Muntons (Black Patent)." Is that it?

If not, hard to justify buying one ingredient online when the shipping is 4x the cost of the grain.

What they said they have is, "black barley from Muntons (Black Patent)." Is that it?

If not, hard to justify buying one ingredient online when the shipping is 4x the cost of the grain.

To each there own, but I did. I usually buy my stuff from NB, but they didn't have the Briess Back Barley, so I got that from the brewers warehouse place. I got 2 lbs to help justify the shipping. I keep it sealed in a tub, so it'll be good for a long time for me to use in the future.

What's the verdict on aging this beer? I'm trying to decide if I want to make a 5 or 3 gal batch. I have so much beer that even with a 3 gal batch, it probably wouldn't all get drank for at least 6 months to a year and even longer if I do 5 gal.

Oh yeah, question about the IBUs too. Beersmith is telling me I'll get 41 IBUs and I matched the AA from the original recipe. Did everyone else get the same. I'm actually ok with them higher as I don't mind bitter stouts, but not sure if it would go okay with a medium gravity oatmeal stout.
I updated the AA for the willamette hops I bought (5.3%) and that bumps up the IBUs to 45. Should I lower the amount to bring it back down to the level in the recipe?

I updated the AA for the willamette hops I bought (5.3%) and that bumps up the IBUs to 45. Should I lower the amount to bring it back down to the level in the recipe?

You'll be fine. Mine were slightly higher too and it was still very balance. Definitely one of the best beers that I have brewer to date.

If you prefer less bitter dark beers than you can lower the amount but I personally wouldn't.

:mug:

Interesting brew day today. I was brewing at a group brew at someone elses house, so I'll blame it on that.

Basically I read my volume measuring stick wrong and I added 1 gallon more than I thought at every step (mash water volume, pre-boil volume and post boil volume going into the fermentor). The good news is I had higher efficiency that I planned for - 83.1% than the 74% I set the recipe up for. I hit my pre-boil gravity (despite having 1 extra gal), but my OG was 5 points less than predicted (1.048 vs 1.053). I realize the alcohol will be less and the beer will be diluted some, but will the higher efficiency make up for some of that? So basically I diluted it by 20%, but doesn't the efficiency make it more like a 10% dilution (if I'm thinking about it correctly)?

Interesting brew day today. I was brewing at a group brew at someone elses house, so I'll blame it on that.

Basically I read my volume measuring stick wrong and I added 1 gallon more than I thought at every step (mash water volume, pre-boil volume and post boil volume going into the fermentor). The good news is I had higher efficiency that I planned for - 83.1% than the 74% I set the recipe up for. I hit my pre-boil gravity (despite having 1 extra gal), but my OG was 5 points less than predicted (1.048 vs 1.053). I realize the alcohol will be less and the beer will be diluted some, but will the higher efficiency make up for some of that? So basically I diluted it by 20%, but doesn't the efficiency make it more like a 10% dilution (if I'm thinking about it correctly)?

Yes, it's only about 5 points difference so pretty negligible.

For the newcomers to this recipe you should really try aging it in a whiskey barrel. ...it is wonderful!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed this on 2/21, OG was 1.048, gravity reading on 3/11 was 1.021. Checked again today 3/15, same 1.021. Should I go ahead and bottle, or try and get it to drop the extra 5 points somehow?

just had to chime in here.

I made this recipe almost exactly (forgot the crystal malt--by accident), and tried my first bottle today.

it is freaking delicious. :mug:

cheers to Yooper for a fantastic recipe!
I'm not even the biggest fan of stouts, but I don't mind them either.
this is easily my favorite oatmeal stout i've ever had.

bravo.:rockin:

Bottled mine today. 3 gal as is. 1 gallon "dry beaned" with coarsely ground coffee for a week and then more cold brewed coffee at bottling and 1 gallon aged with cocoa nibs for 1 week and then coffee extract at bottling.

Bottled mine today. 3 gal as is. 1 gallon "dry beaned" with coarsely ground coffee for a week and then more cold brewed coffee at bottling and 1 gallon aged with cocoa nibs for 1 week and then coffee extract at bottling.

ooh, keep us posted on those variations.

one of the first things I thought of doing while drinking this stout was putting some nibs in there.

I'll bet all of those end up tasty.

My first batch of this was brewed last Fall, and proceeded strangely. It was allowed to be in the fermenter for a month, after which it registered exactly the 1.014 on the hydrometer that it was supposed to. After a month's conditioning, it was a nice, tasty beer. Starting late in the Winter, probably February, I noticed a tendency for the bottles to foam up when opened, even when cold. This only increased over time. I brought up the last six yesterday, and left it on the table upstairs overnight. When I came down this morning, there were two necks blown off, a bit of stout on the ceiling, and various things wet down. I took the remaining beers outside, put on gloves, and lifted the caps. I got immediate foamout (although not violent) of about 1/3 of the beer.
I'm having a hard time understanding this, because the beer basically showed as fermented out when I bottled it. I used the standard 5 oz. of dextrose boiled in 2 cups of water to prime, bottled in regular commercial non-returnable 9 oz. longnecks (which is what most of my beer is bottled in).

My first batch of this was brewed last Fall, and proceeded strangely. It was allowed to be in the fermenter for a month, after which it registered exactly the 1.014 on the hydrometer that it was supposed to. After a month's conditioning, it was a nice, tasty beer. Starting late in the Winter, probably February, I noticed a tendency for the bottles to foam up when opened, even when cold. This only increased over time. I brought up the last six yesterday, and left it on the table upstairs overnight. When I came down this morning, there were two necks blown off, a bit of stout on the ceiling, and various things wet down. I took the remaining beers outside, put on gloves, and lifted the caps. I got immediate foamout (although not violent) of about 1/3 of the beer.
I'm having a hard time understanding this, because the beer basically showed as fermented out when I bottled it. I used the standard 5 oz. of dextrose boiled in 2 cups of water to prime, bottled in regular commercial non-returnable 9 oz. longnecks (which is what most of my beer is bottled in).

Sounds like a gusher infection.

Possible that you used too much priming sugar. If they were kept in 50-60 degree temps they would continue creating carbonation but very slowly over time.
I have had similar results with a blonde and saison, but never any bombs just more carbonation and foaming as I progressed through the bottles. Those were also supposed to be carbed to around 3 volumes so somewhat expected to have this happen.

Hi yooper

I just got five gallons of this kegged today, split a ten gallon batch with a buddy. I added some cold brewed coffee into the keg (2oz coffee in 10oz water) and three whole vanilla beans. Fermented with WLP002, hit 1.018 FG from 1.058OG.

Sitting on the gas at 30psi right now and barely carbed yet, but a quick taster pint is absolutely delicious. I can't wait for this to hit its stride, will definitely be a rebrew in the future. I'd also like to try adding a little lactose and some cacao nibs, that would be delicious too

I am champing at the bit to start drinking it. My brief taste to date shows that it's not too bitter or astringent, just dark and complex. Roasty and rich but no fruitiness.

The other 5 gallons will probably remain as the control batch.

I'm also very interested to see how this would do with some late hops. This batch got 3oz EKG at 7.6% FWH so it's balanced but there's no hop character. I think it might do very nicely with another EKG addition at 10-5 minutes.

Back