Hefeweizen IV (WLP380) questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
Going to give this yeast a shot for the first time, and was wondering what temperature is best? I understand that this yeast is more clove focused than the typical banana bombs (WLP300 and Wyeast 3068). I always go with 3068 but the LHBS only had very old packets and I didn't trust the viability. I'd like there to be a nice balance between the clove/banana, if possible. I don't want it too clovey, but if it ends up being closer to that side of the spectrum than the banana side, that would be fine.

Thanks

I just brewed a beer with this yeast. It's three weeks old and I just put it in the kegerator this past weekend. Nice balance of banana and clove in the nose and the flavor is more banana than clove but it's subtle and not overpowering. I fermented around 63-64F.

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that 63-64 produces a nice balance.

I should have mentioned that I was planning on keeping this around 62 degrees. This is the temperature that Jamil recommends for WLP300 and WY3068, but I think it could work for this yeast strain as well.

I brewed a Hef with the 380 and I fermented at 67'... Its tastes great IMO! It has the weizeny nose and a nice spicy clove finish, but very little actual banana flavor!

I brewed a Hef with the 380 and I fermented at 67'... Its tastes great IMO! It has the weizeny nose and a nice spicy clove finish, but very little actual banana flavor!

I'm starting to think I should ferment this one a bit warmer than I originally planned. I read a few threads on other brew forums and several people who fermented 60-62 ended up with very banana'ish hefeweizens, with little clove character. Maybe the lower temperature stresses out the yeast and they give off more phenols? I think the recommended range is 66-70 for this strain...

Back