not beer related

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
Sorry to post this here but I might be be brewing today and probably need to make a starter or something so if any of you have advice on "loganberry champagne" I posted in the Wine brewing section about it. Thanks!!!

I've never bothered making a starter for wine or ciders. More often than not, the problem is containing the blow-off. Fruit juices are mainly fructose & the yeast will just rip through it.

since no one seems to pay attention to the other forum:

I bought a can of Loganberry concentrate and want to make 5 gallons of "champagne" from it for my girlfriend. I have the following ingredients:

Wyeast 402 Champagne Yeast
96 oz Vinter's Harvest Loganberry Fruit Wine Base
15 lbs Corn Sugar
Diammonium Phosphate
Pectic Enzyme
Acid Blend

My plan was to make a yeast starter using a quart of water and a cup of corn sugar.

Then I plan to boil the rest of the ingredients in 5 gallons of Seattle tap water for a few minutes, run through my chiller and pitch the yeast starter.

Rack to a secondary once fermentation subsides.

Bottle with some corn sugar into beer bottles to carbonate in the bottle.

Will this be tasty?? I want a high alcohol content, but also want some sweetness in the finished product. Please comment on my plan and let me know where I might go wrong. I have never brewed anything but beer before. Should I re-pitch additional yeast at some point?

Back