Temperature concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmart

Reaction score
Hey there!
I just got my kit in the mail the other day, along with a few books I ordered about homebrew (one being John Palmer's). Anyway, my first concern I have had since the start is wondering how I will maintain temperature during fermentation. I live in an apartment, you see. It is also summertime, which means the AC is cranked on full blast some days, and other days not on at all. It's really up to the misses if it's on or not (never satisfied with the temperature, really). It can be thick and humid one day, and dry the next. I put a thermometer on the side of the (empty) carboy and put it in a few locations to see what the temperature is there, and it's mostly in the 80's.

I do have a basement, but I'm not sure if that is more stable, when I get back from work I will try and see. I also have a minifridge that is filled with food, but I might be willing to sacrifice that, shove my personal food in the kitchen-fridge, and bring the temperature control all the way down to see what temperature it can maintain.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how I can keep my temperature COOLER? Any tricks? :confused: I'll probably be just fine in the Winter-time, as we always maintain a constant temperature then, but for now, I'm running out of ideas for this time of year.

THere is at least one thread daily on "temp control" this time of year...In fact there were two yesterday.

You can start with the threads down below in the similar threads box, then if you do a search for "Swamp cooler" or "Temp COntrol" or just scroll through the beginner's forum you will find one of the hundred's of threads on this topic.

Also look for the "son of a fermentation Chiller" That might even be a sticky in the equipment forum.

Like I said, you won't have look too far to find the info on here.

:mug:

Ah, thank you.
Sorry for not looking a bit harder, I was about to head off to work. Sometimes I post a question on a message board and go to work so I have ~8 hours worth of responses when I get back. But doing some searching lead me to some ideas I might try, I have a spare cooler in storage i might pull out and try.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back