Victory Malt in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Has anyone used victory in an IPA?

I'm throwing together a recipe. Pretty straightforward, Maris otter, 1/2 lb crystal 40, 1 lb flaked barley, and I'm thinking 1/2 lb victory. mid 50s IBUs, lots of hop aroma and flavor. OG ~1.060.

I think this would yield a nice hoppy IPA, the flaked barley will give some creamyness/silkyness and the victory will add just a bit of toasted/nutty malt presence.

So have you liked Victory malt in an IPA?

Most definitely, it works great. My English IPA (Jack the rIPA in my recipe dropdown) uses victory and combined with maris otter you get a really great biscuity/nutty flavour.

I love it. I make a very dry RyePA and added .5 lb to add a bit of depth (i.e. to balance out the dryness and to complement the crystal 60/20), and it's wonderful.

1/2# of Victory is a perfect addition to a good IPA grainbill... well done! Matter of fact I use up to 1# which is fine for my taste, but the bier judge in our hbc says it's too toasty.

Schlante,
Phillip

I would not go over a half pound for an IPA. I used a half pound in a pale ale and it was too much, for an IPA I think it will be right on.

Planning to use English hops and yeast on this one too?

Definitely use victory in an English style IPA. If you are making it hoppy, I reckon victory will give the hops a good background note.

Edit: Comercial English IPA is not too far removed from the bitter style, and the lines can get blurry sometimes. Victory will blur those lines too, but in a good way. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

That's the grainbill I'm going with. I'm not using English hops, I have some Cascade and Amarillo that I need to use up.

I haven't decided on yeast yet......I'll either do a clean American or maybe I'll go with a British yeast.......in fact that sounds more interesting.

Latest posts

Back