Scored a strange contraption...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
So I was at work yesterday and we were cleaning out the old wine room. I happened to walk by and saw what looked like a clamp-on beer tower. So I of course said, hey, if you decide to throw that away, I'll take it. So my manager says, "Funny you mention that, we just decided to throw it away."
So I take it home and upon closer inspection it was not, in fact for beer. The spigot is actually plastic and there is a small plate on the back of the tower that says 100% Cuervo Gold Margarita. Sure enough, upon cutting the line to free the tower from the base, it smells like old margarita. The funny thing that I found was at the other end of the line was a Corny out fitting. So they had filled a corny with margarita and were dispensing it that way...wierd.

Anyway here's my question. Can I recycle this tower for future beer usage? It's by no means in great shape, but it was free, and is insulated and everything....Also I may be scoring a CO2 tank with it, I just didn't have enough hands to carry everything yesterday :rockin:

Thats pretty cool. There is no way that it stayed mixed, they must of just been using that as the dispenser and then pouring it over ice.

This is actually something that I keep talking to the wife about doing. We always serve our margaritas "on the rocks" anyway, so it is easy enough to do from a keg. I have always wondered how a little carbonation would play with the flavors of a margarita. I currently have a 5 gallon batch of white sangria in one of my kegs, and it has proven to be VERY popular.

i filled a corny with lemonade and vodka and made carbonated hard lemonade once. it worked well, and tasted great. oh- and we all got wasted.

Well, I kind of tore it apart already....I'll post some pics of the tower once I get it cleaned up, but I threw away the clamp-on base and tubing...

Forgot to mention this, mostly because I took the different parts home on two different days, but I got a CO2 tank out of the deal too....I'm not sure what the technical size is but it's about 2-2 1/2 feet tall...

Forgot to mention this, mostly because I took the different parts home on two different days, but I got a CO2 tank out of the deal too....I'm not sure what the technical size is but it's about 2-2 1/2 feet tall...

2 1/2 feet tall sounds like a 25 pound tank. I just switched to that size and really like it. To big to sit on the hump of my keezer, but not so big that it is cumbersome. Good score.

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

(I need ten characters)

Hard Raspberry Lemonade:

8 CansRaspberry Lemonade Concentrate Conc (100% Juice)
8 oz. light dme
1 # Corn Sugar
3.5 gal water
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
3.5 tsp yeast nutrient

warmed this all up to 165 degrees for 15 min, cooled to 75 degrees, and pitched onto a secondary yeast cake of Safeale-05. Primary for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks on basement floor (about 60 degrees). "killed" yeast w/ potassium metabisulfite. kegged and refrigerated. Boild 2 quarts water and dissolved 5 cups corn sugar, added to keg. Forced carbed at 12.5# for 1 week.

i filled a corny with lemonade and vodka and made carbonated hard lemonade once. it worked well, and tasted great. oh- and we all got wasted.

You sir, have just turned SWMBO's attitude toward kegging setups 180 deg! She said that she would be down with that and she hadn't thought of things other than beer coming from the taps!

For this, I am eternally grateful :ban::mug::ban:

You sir, have just turned SWMBO's attitude toward kegging setups 180 deg! She said that she would be down with that and she hadn't thought of things other than beer coming from the taps!

For this, I am eternally grateful :ban::mug::ban:

Making her help you bottle usually works pretty well too.

Hard Raspberry Lemonade:

8 CansRaspberry Lemonade Concentrate Conc (100% Juice)
8 oz. light dme
1 # Corn Sugar
3.5 gal water
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
3.5 tsp yeast nutrient

warmed this all up to 165 degrees for 15 min, cooled to 75 degrees, and pitched onto a secondary yeast cake of Safeale-05. Primary for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks on basement floor (about 60 degrees). "killed" yeast w/ potassium metabisulfite. kegged and refrigerated. Boild 2 quarts water and dissolved 5 cups corn sugar, added to keg. Forced carbed at 12.5# for 1 week.

I agree. This recipe sounds pretty tasty, but 2 questions:

1. Why the DME? Seems it'd just make the drink cloudy and muddle the flavors.
2. And why 5 cups of corn sugar after killing the yeast? Are you just backsweetening it?

Back