Larger Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
I have just racked my first batch into the secondary and am starting to think about bottling. Is there any problem using the larger size bottles (32oz) as far as the quality of the final product?

Also, Clear bottles, I was thinking it would be easier to check the clarity of the beer with a clear bottle. Is this a problem using clear glass?

Thanks

No worries using larger bottles, your bottling day will go much quicker and you'll want to consume 32oz of beer in a sitting. Sounds like a Win Win to me!!! Clear bottles are a no, no unless you are going to keep them out of the light. (At least that's what I've been told.)

I have just racked my first batch into the secondary and am starting to think about bottling. Is there any problem using the larger size bottles (32oz) as far as the quality of the final product?
I've used 1.5 liter bottles with no problems. And there is less to clean.:ban:
Just think how easy a 5-gallon bottle will be.

Also, Clear bottles, I was thinking it would be easier to check the clarity of the beer with a clear bottle. Is this a problem using clear glass?
As long as you keep them out of the light. UV will light strike and cause your beer to skunk.

When I carbonated in the bottle I would do at least one plastic PET bottle so you can feel when the bottle gets rock hard. I used the 1 liter amber bottles from Mr. Beer. They are reuseable and large enough to really cut down on the bottling chore. I have also seen many people use soda bottles. Just make sure you use a bottle that is meant to contain the pressure of carbonation. A glass mason jar will not do it.

Keep in mind that each pour will stir up the sediment, so the second and third glasses out of a big soda bottle will be cloudy and yeasty.

I like to have a size that I'm going to drink at one sitting, so I'd pour the beer into a pitcher (with one pour, not up and down) and then pour from the pitcher. You can stick the pitcher in the fridge to keep it cold.

Keep in mind that each pour will stir up the sediment, so the second and third glasses out of a big soda bottle will be cloudy and yeasty.

I like to have a size that I'm going to drink at one sitting, so I'd pour the beer into a pitcher (with one pour, not up and down) and then pour from the pitcher. You can stick the pitcher in the fridge to keep it cold.

Good Idea, I use the litter size, and now this is how I am doing my pours. Thanks.

Bottled my first batch in 2L coca-cola bottles. Just pour the thing in a pitcher ( in one pour as mentioned) and you're good to go. And if you're by yourself make sure you put your car keys away :p

Larger bottles will condition faster - albeit only a little. They're also nicer to use for gifts and for cellaring, in my opinion.

I often will use a single clear glass bottle to observe the sedimentation and mini-krausen. All my bottles stay out of the light while they're conditioning, so it's not an issue. But I wouldn't recommend using clear bottles for an entire batch.

Speaking of larger bottles. I have a few (Dogfish head and Flying Fish), can you use a normal capper for them? or do you need a larger bell?

Larger bottles are USUALLY fine with regular caps. Sometimes there's a grolsch top, or sometimes there's a cork. If you're interested, and you have the caps/capper on hand, just try it and find out.

I've left roughly the same amount of headspace and it's been fine. Also, all my large bottles have been better than my smaller bottles, maybe they've conditioned better? I don't know.

Thanks for the reply. I just bottled my second batch, and decided to use a few recycled 22oz-ers and a champagne bottle. I went with the "bottle wand always gives perfect head space" philosophy I've seen in a few other posts, so if this yields anything less than ideal results, I'll update.

Back