SaniClean no rinse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use SaniClean just like StarSan?

• I'll use a still-wet container sanitized with SaniClean as if it was StarSan.

• When using SaniClean, I allow the container to drip-dry.

• I don't use SaniClean without a rinse. (Explain why in a post please!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a dedicated StarSan user, but recently I have started using SaniClean as well for situations where there's no advantage to the foam of StarSan. After all, SaniClean is cheaper.

This is just a quick poll, if you use SaniClean at the labeled concentration, do you rinse or allow to dry? Or would you use it just like StarSan and immediately use a drained container?

:tank:

I do use starsan and saniclean... but together. Sometimes I end up with just a bit too much foam in a carboy so I mix up a small batch of saniclean and rinse the foam out with it. Otherwise... I just stick with starsan.

I've been to Five Star's site, and I don't see that Sani Clean is the same product as Star San. It's listed as a cleaning agent, and I think it's best that I treat it as such. I don't use it, because I have no need for it. I use Star San pretty much exclusively for sanitizing, and am quite pleased with the results. I didn't do the poll, because there's really no appropriate response for my situation.

I've been to Five Star's site, and I don't see that Sani Clean is the same product as Star San. It's listed as a cleaning agent, and I think it's best that I treat it as such. I don't use it, because I have no need for it. I use Star San pretty much exclusively for sanitizing, and am quite pleased with the results. I didn't do the poll, because there's really no appropriate response for my situation.

SaniClean is actually billed as a "low foaming equivalent to StarSan", even though they clearly have different ingredients as is shown by color alone. The reason SaniClean is not labelled as a sanitizer is due to differing state-level regulations. They are however both acid rinses, and the labeling on them is nearly identical. But they ARE different, so I'm asking. I'd rather not be contributing off flavors to my beers!

After all, SaniClean is cheaper.

:tank:

It may appear that SaniClean is cheaper at first, but the recommended dilution rate of SaniClean is more than twice the amount of StarSan.

Per Five Star Chemical's web site:

StarSan:
Directions: A dilution of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of water, STAR SAN will provide 300 ppm of dodecylbenzenesulfonic
acid.

SaniClean:
Part Soaking- In a 5 gallon bucket add 4 gallons of water and 2 ounces of SANICLEAN.

SaniClean:
Part Soaking- In a 5 gallon bucket add 4 gallons of water and 2 ounces of SANICLEAN.

That seems to be related to SaniClean's more multi-purpose nature. The bottle recommends a dilution of 1oz / 3 Gallons of water as a rinse. That's in comparison to StarSan's 1oz / 5 Gallons.

That seems to be related to SaniClean's more multi-purpose nature. The bottle recommends a dilution of 1oz / 3 Gallons of water as a rinse. That's in comparison to StarSan's 1oz / 5 Gallons.

The 1 oz to 3 gallon rate is listed for CIP cleaning environments. For part soaking, which is what I assume most homebrewers are doing, SaniClean's rate is 2 oz per 4 gallons.

Back