Recommended minifridge for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I recently finished my keezer and my father-in-law (hooked after 1 afternoon of draft beer!) is thinking about converting a mini-fridge and using a tower set up. One that would hold 2 cornies would be ideal.

Any specific model/size recommendations?

Thx.

I hear a Sanyo 4912 is very popular.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV8Pb7d5nZI]YouTube - Building a kegerator from a Sanyo 4912[/ame]

For the price they charge for them tho, I plan on getting a chest freezer that will hold 4 cornies.

For the price they charge for them tho, I plan on getting a chest freezer that will hold 4 cornies.

Thanks for the info. I just built up a keezer with a magic chef 7.2 and that unit is perfect for 4...could even put in 6 cornies using a 6 inch collar and the tank on the outside, but 4 inside with room for bottles on the hump suits me fine.

Thanks for the info. I just built up a keezer with a magic chef 7.2 and that unit is perfect for 4...could even put in 6 cornies using a 6 inch collar and the tank on the outside, but 4 inside with room for bottles on the hump suits me fine.

I am actually planning on buying the 7.2 Magic Chef tomorrow. I just got back from selling my side by side refrigerator (Only holds 2 kegs) to someone on craigslist. I am frantically trying to find a refrigerator controler today so i can get my keezer up and running tomorrow. I will eventually add a 6inch colar, but just continue using my picnic taps until then.

Wally world has a danby 4.4 for less than 200. Model number is DAR440BL. Way cheaper than the 4912M. Dont know about the quality, though.

Here's a guy who converted one of those.

Wally world has a danby 4.4 for less than 200. Model number is DAR440BL. Way cheaper than the 4912M. Dont know about the quality, though.

Here's a guy who converted one of those.

This is exactly the model I used and it works great! I got it from Walmart.com you can get it delivered to the nearest store for free or have it shipped to your home. I had it shipped to my home because shipping was $0.97 for me because of how close I am to the walmart distro center. :)

Would a 10# CO2 tank fit on the hump of this freezer (Magic Chef 7.2)? My freezer blew and I have a tower system (no collar) and I want to fit 4 cornys and a 10# CO2 tank inside a freezer. Will the Magic chef 7.2 work for that? :confused:

Would a 10# CO2 tank fit on the hump of this freezer (Magic Chef 7.2)? My freezer blew and I have a tower system (no collar) and I want to fit 4 cornys and a 10# CO2 tank inside a freezer. Will the Magic chef 7.2 work for that? :confused:

I will measure it when i get home for you.
5lb tank is 17.25inches tall
10lb tank is 20 inches tall.
4 cornies fit without having to squeeze.(6 if you add a 6inch colar)

If what MNBugeater says is accurate, than you won't fit a 10lb without tilting it. I am sure you could put it in on an angle to get it inside, but that will use up most of the space on the hump.
I also called Home Depot and the guy was extremely helpful. He knows I'm driving 100+ miles to get this.

Internal:
25" Deep (not on the hump)
18" Deep to hump
17" Front to Back
20" Hump to Side
8.5" Length of Hump

I measured the space above my 5lb tank, there is less than an inch to spare, so it is the largest tank that wills tand up on the hump.

Is it OK to have the CO2 NOT upright? Will that cause problems for the system? :confused:

You need it upright enough that the liquid is not being drawn out, so do not put it on it's side unless you have an Anti-Suphon tube. You should be able to angle it 30-40degrees from verticle without drawing any fluid.
antisyphontube.jpg

Anti-syphon tubes must be custom installed for your tank, the tube must always face an upward direction to draw gas only and function optimally. If you are concidering this, call a local paintball shop and ask if they can install it for you. (They usually only work with 9oz-20oz tanks.

You might be able to get away with putting the tank on the floor of the chest freezer between your 4 kegs (not sure how much room will be leftover) and connect a high pressure line to the regulators.
ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

I only have the 5lb tank, but I am pretty sure I could fit mine down there, if i pushed the 4 kegs to the outside corners.
a Paintball remote line fits my tank and regulator.
GWNPB%20Warrior%20Remote%20Line%20-%20DLX%20lrg.jpg

10# won't sit on the hump without a collar. It's 18.5" from the top of the hump to surface where the lid gasket sits. You have about another 1/2" of clearance above that (due to gasket thickness), but clearly not enough for a 10#er.

10# won't sit on the hump without a collar. It's 18.5" from the top of the hump to surface where the lid gasket sits. You have about another 1/2" of clearance above that (due to gasket thickness), but clearly not enough for a 10#er.

sad but true. with my regulators attached to my 5#, I have less than an inch of clearance with the lid closed.
I bet angled at about 60degrees it would fit. You can bungi it to the fence that seperates the hump from the rest of the freezer.

I have decided to pass on this freezer. I went last night to look at one in person and was not impressed by the size. I will be looking at some 8.8 cu ft freezers at Sears either tonight or tomorrow.

This is exactly the model I used and it works great! I got it from Walmart.com you can get it delivered to the nearest store for free or have it shipped to your home. I had it shipped to my home because shipping was $0.97 for me because of how close I am to the walmart distro center. :)

I ordered mine Sunday night, and it arrived today. $20 shipping. I am pleased. I can get working on the door while I wait for my tower to arrive. Borrowed a 2.5" drill saw bit from work, so I should be able to knock this out pretty quickly.

Back