Corny Keg as Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read a few posts about this, and I'm convinced that I'm going to use corny kegs for primaries and secondaries, but still have one question that's bugging me:

Does anyone use a corny as a primary, and how much wort do you put in there? I'm willing to modify my recipes for 4.0-4.5G batches if I need to, but would rather not. What I'd actually do is probably boil 9G batches, and use 2 cornies as primaries etc. I'm planning to use a blowoff tube attached to the Co2 QD.

If I can't find any recommendations, then I'll go forward and do a normal 5G batch and see how it works out, then post the results.

Thanks

You're not going to have much headspace if you are doing 5gal batches. Plus you'll have a very dirty corny to clean. Not a problem if you have skinny arms but mine are fat enough I can't reach the bottom of the corny.

I'd stick with using them only for secondaries.

See this months HTB...article all about it. It didn't make me want to try it, but I would imagine there's a pointer or two in it for those that do.

... Does anyone use a corny as a primary, and how much wort do you put in there? I'm willing to modify my recipes for 4.0-4.5G batches if I need to, but would rather not. What I'd actually do is probably boil 9G batches, and use 2 cornies as primaries etc. I'm planning to use a blowoff tube attached to the Co2 QD. ...

That's what I do - brew a 8-9 gallon or a 12-13 gallon batch - and split it into two or three cornies. Works like a charm. I use a blowoff hose (1/2" id)forced over the threads on the gas in post. Sometimes I use foam control. The split batches gives me a chance to dry different yeasts, etc.

I shortened one diptube - cut off 2" and then straightened it as much as I could. Another brewer I have discussed this with uses a diptube from a pinlock keg - they are straight. I have been leaving the diptubes in the kegs, but next time I will leave them out and just insert the sanitized straight tube at racking time.

Cleaning is not a problem if you do it soon after racking. All the sticky stuff is at the top where I can reach it easily.

Ever broken a carboy? It's not pretty.
Especially when it is one you are cleaning, getting yeast out of the cuts is not fun. Yea, I had one shatter and cut up my shins and hands nicely.

I use buckets or cornies - carboys are overrated.
Try Better Bottles benefit of a carboy without the added weight and chance of shattering.

i've broken two carboys. both times it was because i did something stupid.

the weight sucks and the chance of breaking is higher. other than that, they are the best IMO. so much easier to clean, will last forever, and i still like to see what's going on with my fermentation.

start fermenting in kegs and i think you'll need to take them apart every few times you use them just to ensure they are clean. just seems like more trouble than its worth to me. if you're worried about shatters, i would agree with budbo on trying the better bottles.

keg for the secondary is great, tho. from there you can cold condition and tap straight from the keg, you could use it as a bright tank, or you can filter to another keg. it gives great options.

i've broken two carboys. both times it was because i did something stupid.

the weight sucks and the chance of breaking is higher. other than that, they are the best IMO. so much easier to clean, will last forever, and i still like to see what's going on with my fermentation.

start fermenting in kegs and i think you'll need to take them apart every few times you use them just to ensure they are clean. just seems like more trouble than its worth to me. if you're worried about shatters, i would agree with budbo on trying the better bottles.

keg for the secondary is great, tho. from there you can cold condition and tap straight from the keg, you could use it as a bright tank, or you can filter to another keg. it gives great options.

For me, the kegs are easier to clean. And buckets are easier to clean than either kegs or carboys. And I don't care about watching the fermentation - I just open the lid on keg or bucket to check on it.

I always disassemble my kegs after every use. 10 seconds with a ratchet - give all the parts a hot water soak and rinse - a StarSan soak - and put it back together in 30 seconds. Takes me less time than scrubbing a carboy.

I considered using the better bottles, but I already had the kegs. I tried them - I liked them - and I haven't used a carboy in over a year. I encourage everyone to try it - you won't be disappointed.

I'm planning this setup exactly, 9 gallons lagering in two cornies in a 5 cu foot Oster fridge. I posted about it a few days ago.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/small-footprint-lagering-fridge-94328/

Instead of the QD on gas post, Conpewter suggested I just remove the post and use a silicone hose shoved over the connector. I will be trying that.

I'll add Fermcap before fermentation and I'm doing lagers in them so I don't expect crazy blowoff anyway. For ales I'd just split a 6-7 gallon batch across two cornies and do the same thing so there is plenty of headspace.

I always disassemble my kegs after every use. 10 seconds with a ratchet - give all the parts a hot water soak and rinse - a StarSan soak - and put it back together in 30 seconds. Takes me less time than scrubbing a carboy.

that's the way to do it. i too often get lazy and just run solutions through the lines. i'm wasting my time.
:mug:

Back